Are Bicycles Road Worthy?

That all well and good saying take bicycles off the roads, but what would people like me do, i have no other transport, and being unemployed i cannot afford to use public transport.

So for people like me its a literal lifeline i still have to travel some distance e.g to shops, sign on, attend work program.

So unless i start out and walk for over an hour and a half,taking the bicycle is the only sane alternative.

Having once accumulated 20 years’ experience, I know that all bicycles should possess: a white front light, a white front reflector, a red rear light, a red rear reflector, two orange reflectors in the spokes of each wheel or alternatively a white reflecting band on either side of each tyre, a functioning bell and two functioning brakes. Cyclists shall be fined a minor amount for not complying with any of these requirements (should be about 20 pounds).

Cyclists on the countryside may use the pavement until the age of 12; cyclists in towns until the age of 9. In the rare cases where there is no designated cycling lane, cyclists shall ride at the side of the road. Where there are no bicycle traffic lights, the pedestrian lights count. In the absence of these, the lights for automobiles are valid.

That is how it was in my youth; I don’t know whether this still holds true 10 years and 3 stones later. Public transport should sport a health warning.

IMO the majority of car drivers who have real hate for cyclists seem to be overweight, and out of shape, could this be some sort of jealousy?

It may actually do you some good to get out of your car, get some exercise and not get stuck in traffic jams, as this only seems to up the rage you hold for cyclists.

Having once accumulated 20 years’ experience, I know that all bicycles should possess: a white front light, a white front reflector, a red rear light, a red rear reflector, two orange reflectors in the spokes of each wheel or alternatively a white reflecting band on either side of each tyre, a functioning bell and two functioning brakes. Cyclists shall be fined a minor amount for not complying with any of these requirements (should be about 20 pounds).

Cyclists on the countryside may use the pavement until the age of 12; cyclists in towns until the age of 9. In the rare cases where there is no designated cycling lane, cyclists shall ride at the side of the road. Where there are no bicycle traffic lights, the pedestrian lights count. In the absence of these, the lights for automobiles are valid.

That is how it was in my youth; I don’t know whether this still holds true 10 years and 3 stones later. Public transport should sport a health warning.

If there being no designated cycling lane was rare for you 10 years ago, you can't have been in the UK. ;)

Cycling at the side of the road is dangerous because it encourages unsafe overtaking by vehicle drivers. The current government cycle training scheme advises against it because of that.

IMO the majority of car drivers who have real hate for cyclists seem to be overweight, and out of shape, could this be some sort of jealousy?

It may actually do you some good to get out of your car, get some exercise and not get stuck in traffic jams, as this only seems to up the rage you hold for cyclists.

But at least im warm and dry on a rainy cold day whilst the two wheeled lunatics are freezing their bits off and soaked.

Archived