The origin of Rushby Street Sheffield

rusclare

Rushby St is named after David Rushby who was a builder and joiner in the 1800s, he built houses on Baretta St and of course Rushby St.

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 12:56 ----------

Adsetts Street was built in the 1860 by the Sheffield & Grimesthorpe Freehold Land Society and named after the society's president George Adsetts, who at that time lived at Brightside he was a land agent with offices in Change Alley.

Hi lazarus,

Presumably he is also the Adsetts of 'The Adsetts Centre' on Pond Street?? Had thought the street was named after a past relative of Ernest Adsetts, the business man, who was born at 390, Earl Marshall Road on Wed. 29th Nov. 1905 and in the 1950s founded 'Sheffield Insulations' at the Hillsborough Barracks site. Maybe there is a connection??

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 15:16 ----------

I used to go in the Prince of Wales pub on Adsetts st in the late sixties.

Hi bullerboy, I remember the pub well but didn't frequent it as I lived on Adsetts Street from birth in 1943, but moved to Shiregreen aged 14 for a bigger house when my sister was born.

Was it the Prince of Wales Feathers? Also remember the other pubs on virtually every corner!

Archived