Why the stigma towards men who use prostitutes?

The stigma it seems has largely been taken away from the prostitutes themselves, in fact it has in effect been decriminalised, but not so for the men that use them. Why is that?

Before anyone starts with the smart comments, no I don't use prostitutes myself and never have. :hihi:

The stigma it seems has largely been taken away from the prostitutes themselves, in fact it has in effect been decriminalised, but not so for the men that use them. Why is that?

Before anyone starts with the smart comments, no I don't use prostitutes myself and never have. :hihi:

Really? What makes you say that?

You're, well not you, but prostitute users (punters?) are using a person as a piece of meat. It's no questions asked sex so I'm assuming said punter won't ask questions like: are you old enough, were you smuggled here in a lorry against your will, are you on drugs, are you being threatened to do this. They'll just hop on. I'm sure there are a few hookers out there who do it for the love of the job or earn big big money. The rest won't, and punters won't care. That is why they are stigmatised.

Jam,

To actually address your question, let us focus here on the point. I would say the element that is stigmatised is the “paying for sex” bit. The circumstances surrounding prostitutes is an another topic. I can see how this subject can, and probably will go off-topic, and will eventually incur intervention from the mods.

By the way, it is not illegal to pay for sex. It is still illegal to solicit for sex, to kerb crawl, and to solicit a prostitute (even on foot).

You're, well not you, but prostitute users (punters?) are using a person as a piece of meat. It's no questions asked sex so I'm assuming said punter won't ask questions like: are you old enough, were you smuggled here in a lorry against your will, are you on drugs, are you being threatened to do this. They'll just hop on. I'm sure there are a few hookers out there who do it for the love of the job or earn big big money. The rest won't, and punters won't care. That is why they are stigmatised.

I'm hearing you, but I'm guessing that most men that use prostitutes are not nasty and manipulative, rather they are socially and sexually inadequate with sexual needs like everyone else, and the prostitutes are providing a service for them.

Do you really believe this? Try telling your friends/family that your misses is a prostitute, and see how they react. I'd bet that there'll be fair amount of stigma attached.

I'm hearing you, but I'm guessing that most men that use prostitutes are not nasty and manipulative, rather they are socially and sexually inadequate with sexual needs like everyone else, and the prostitutes are providing a service for them.

That's probably a valid point but if they took time to ask the above questions sex trafficking wouldn't exist.

Maybe. Would their existing partner (and I`m sure many punters will have a partner) have anything to do with them seeking sex away from the relationship?

I think the clue lies in the word 'use'.

Archived