Davys restaurant

brianJ

Does anyone remember Davy's restaurant above what is now W H Smiths.It used to be a great meeting place on a Saturday afternoon.You used to go upstairs to it via a door at the side of the shop.Dont know what shops were downstairs at the time,but it was when Jacksons tailors was open and Austins at the top of the Moor.

• 5 years later...

I was born 1940, and my gran took me in there at least once a week for lunsh when we were in town shopping. I remember that the food ad good there at that time (1946/7/8/9. I remember that downstairs in the window was an ancient coffee bean grinding machine with huge wheels on it. You could smell the roast coffee for quiote a distance either side of Davies.

I also went with my gran quite frequently into Davies in Rotherham, they too had a coffee bean grinding machine with the smell of roast coffee wafting all along the bus station road. Again, the food in there was good. Soemtimes we had lunch and if it was later in the day we had afternoon tea and lovely cakes whilst waiting for the bus back to Swallownest.

Best Regards - Grey Eminence - Subag Jaya - Malaysia

Was the restaurant upstairs? I seem to remember it being at the back of the shop, through a door on the left

No tasha, you went up the same staircase that is in W H Smith, I think that it was on the top floor, the restaurant was at the front and the kitchens at the rear.

Archived