Labour Attacks Tesco Over Foreign Staff!

Tesco has issued a statement denying all accusations in today’s Sky News report.

Head of UK Recruitment Olga Radwanska said.......

“Błędem jest oskarżają Tesco o tym. Pracujemy bardzo ciężko rekrutować z okolicy i właśnie zwerbował 350 miejscowych ludzi do pracy w naszej witrynie Dagenham”

:hihi:

Of course, but did Tesco advertise in some foreign country & ship them in specially, or are they employing local immigrants that may have been here for some time & didn't come specifically to work for Tesco? The front of shop staff in the Tescos in Sheffield usually have a Sheffield accent.

Maybe they ship them in in London to keep wages low, as it's even harder to live off minimum wage there. I haven't seen any evidence myself in Sheffield.

From 2006,

"Tesco is among more than 30 British companies taking part in a recruitment fair in Warsaw to tempt Polish workers to the UK."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1531824/Tesco-leads-UK-firms-chasing-Polish-workers.html

That was in 2006.

How many of those Polish workers are still sitting around waiting for a job with Tesco, do you think?

There are still some as this item earlier this year shows,

"Agency staff are victims too. Tesco has insisted that agency workers will not be allowed to transfer to another site. Instead, they will be shown the door. There are around 140 of these people, mostly from eastern Europe, who also work extremely long hours. This is despite being paid less for doing exactly the same work as permanent Tesco colleagues. I have been told that Tesco are able to do this by employing the "Swedish Derogation" loophole in the Agency Workers Regulations: i.e. allowing an agency to employ staff on a minimum contract, where they continue to be paid between assignments, but must waive their rights to equal pay. Parliament should consider if this practice is really in keeping with the spirit of British workers' rights."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/tescos-treatment-its-workers-shows-why-we-must-stop-subsidising-it

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 22:37 ----------

doesnt matter right wingers have long memories.............just like elephants :hihi:

Some can remember how many years you were on the dole.

Im not really sure about this story.

I assume that everyone at Tesco is on minimum wage so why would it be in Tesco's interest for employ people from Eastern European countries.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

http://news.sky.com/story/1127231/labour-attacks-tesco-over-foreign-staff

Wow. Astonishing hypocrisy from Labour. Labour can never be trusted on the immigration issue ever again.

Im not really sure about this story.

I assume that everyone at Tesco is on minimum wage so why would it be in Tesco's interest for employ people from Eastern European countries.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

http://news.sky.com/story/1127231/labour-attacks-tesco-over-foreign-staff

Because it's short-termism, no committment. Europeans are not subject to immigration control so how can they be immigrants? Also immigrants settle in a country and I think people are confusing them with migrants who come here looking for work.

People are not going to like this because it doesn't suit their plan, but a while back there were various media articles about Polish people returning to Poland. What they do is come to the UK for a few years, return home and start up a shop or small business with the money they saved.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 06:06 ----------

doesnt matter right wingers have long memories.............just like elephants :hihi:

Only when it suits them

There are still some as this item earlier this year shows,

"Agency staff are victims too. Tesco has insisted that agency workers will not be allowed to transfer to another site. Instead, they will be shown the door. There are around 140 of these people, mostly from eastern Europe, who also work extremely long hours. This is despite being paid less for doing exactly the same work as permanent Tesco colleagues. I have been told that Tesco are able to do this by employing the "Swedish Derogation" loophole in the Agency Workers Regulations: i.e. allowing an agency to employ staff on a minimum contract, where they continue to be paid between assignments, but must waive their rights to equal pay. Parliament should consider if this practice is really in keeping with the spirit of British workers' rights."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/tescos-treatment-its-workers-shows-why-we-must-stop-subsidising-it

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 22:37 ----------

Some can remember how many years you were on the dole.

well it was a nice round number :P

Archived