Double glazing film

Has anyone used the film stuff you put on your window frames? Supposed to act as a secend layer to stop the draught coming in if you cant afford double glazing

Just ordered some from eBay, for a tenner not expecting it to be great but it sounds Like it will make my energy provider a little less rich this winter.

If it's the stuff that you can get from Wilko's and use a type of gun to apply, it looks quite fragile, and vulnerable to little fingers!

I used to apply the stuff directly to glass for a living years ago, but that was industrial stuff from Courtaulds on huge rolls.

I've used clear 'solar film' to make secondary double-glazing and it worked very well indeed.

(Solar film is a 'memory' plastic used to skin the wings of model aircraft. It glues down with heat [a clothes iron works well] and you then heat it with a hairdrier. When you take the hairdrier away, it shrinks and makes a very tight (and very strong) secondary glazing layer.)

If it's the stuff that you can get from Wilko's and use a type of gun to apply, it looks quite fragile, and vulnerable to little fingers!

I used to apply the stuff directly to glass for a living years ago, but that was industrial stuff from Courtaulds on huge rolls.

No the stuff I have ordered is a stormgaurd product and you stick it on the edge of the frame not onto the glass.

Archived