Mosque open day

"Open day" implies that ordinarily it has an exclusivity about it, in other words closed to non muslims; churches don't need "open days" like this as they're always welcoming to anyone and everyone.

I find that they are often locked....

not that i blame them they are targets for thieves :(

The imam of the mosque now is an old school friend, so he's grown up here, knows how the community and obviously wants to break down barriers that exist in out society. With all the constant negative media coverage that Islam gets due to a very small minority i thought this was a good idea, people can come in ask any questions and maybe even view how prayers are conducted. You can do this on any day of the week but to make it an event so to speak might have encouraged a few more to turn and see for themselves.

I'd like to visit a mosque. Although I'm not religious, I've visited lots of churches, large and small, usually when I've been on holiday. I like the calm spiritual feel of some of them. IMO its an excellent idea to remove the mystery behind closed doors, and if visiting a mosque helps us meet and communicate with some of our neighbours, how can it be a bad thing?

I'd like to visit a mosque. Although I'm not religious, I've visited lots of churches, large and small, usually when I've been on holiday. I like the calm spiritual feel of some of them. IMO its an excellent idea to remove the mystery behind closed doors, and if visiting a mosque helps us meet and communicate with some of our neighbours, how can it be a bad thing?

and what if they don't want to communicate with you ?

and what if they don't want to communicate with you ?

That's their choice. However, if there is an invitation to an open day, it suggests that the people doing the inviting are interested in meeting others. If they weren't, they might as well keep the doors firmly closed.

This thread is an excellent advert for why an open day for a mosque is a good idea, but it also shows up just how blinkered and negative some people are towards muslims.

Mosques, as far as I'm aware, are not normally closed to 'outsiders' and if you take off your shoes and behave respectfully, you will be allowed to look around. I think you might even be able to quietly observe the prayers or teachings if you wanted to.

I'm sure that won't be good enough for some, who'll resent not being able to march in stripped to the waist, wearing 18-hole Doc Martens with a can of Stella in one hand and a sausage roll in the other, chanting "you're not praying any more". Like you can in Anglican churches.

This thread is an excellent advert for why an open day for a mosque is a good idea, but it also shows up just how blinkered and negative some people are towards muslims.

Mosques, as far as I'm aware, are not normally closed to 'outsiders' and if you take off your shoes and behave respectfully, you will be allowed to look around. I think you might even be able to quietly observe the prayers or teachings if you wanted to.

I'm sure that won't be good enough for some, who'll resent not being able to march in stripped to the waist, wearing 18-hole Doc Martens with a can of Stella in one hand and a sausage roll in the other, chanting "you're not praying any more". Like you can in Anglican churches.

Acutely observed.

Archived