Intelligence tests

Hi

How would you do, your friends; perhaps you dont think that they ask the right questions?

A friend of mine, at a job interview, didnt know his NI number. How would you judge someone for a job. If you were interviewing someone for a job at M+S and you found out their ebay rating was only 98.6%!!

Do intelligence/interview tests measure the right thing?

How can it really be measured though? Some people will know certain things and others will know other stuff, I know someone who can solve a crossword in 5 min flat or answer the hardest sums yet doesn't have an ounce of common sense and someone who would struggle with questions but is clever and practical in other ways..... So who or what's to determine which is the most intelligent ?

It is well Known, academics have not got much in the way of common sense or are not very street wise probably because they have always had their head stuck in a book to often, but there are things they know and can do which the practicals can't do, it wouldn't make a world for us all to be the same.

Perhaps that is why they have teachers and teaching assistants; but if they both need each other. Why is one of them better paid?

Because the teaching post involves much more work and a far greater level of responsibility.

Hi

How would you do, your friends; perhaps you dont think that they ask the right questions?

A friend of mine, at a job interview, didnt know his NI number. How would you judge someone for a job. If you were interviewing someone for a job at M+S and you found out their ebay rating was only 98.6%!!

Do intelligence/interview tests measure the right thing?

Measuring memory or knowledge can be useful, but it's not a measure of intelligence.

Even defining intelligence is difficult, measuring it is even more so.

I do happen to know my NI number, but all that proves is that I have a good memory for numbers, that might be useful in a very small range of jobs, but probably not in most.

Interviewing is notoriously unreliable as an indicator of how well someone will perform in a job, it gets a success rate of something like 20% IIRC, structured interviewing only manages to raise that to 40% and full day assessments (or multi day) can raise it as high as 60%. That's about the best you can do though, beyond that whether a candidate performs well or not is mostly unpredictable.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 10:31 ----------

Perhaps that is why they have teachers and teaching assistants; but if they both need each other. Why is one of them better paid?

The whole teaching assistant role has been invented in the last decade (or a little more). Teachers managed just fine before that without them for many generations.

Being a teacher isn't really the same as being an academic though is it, they interact with children and parents all the time, and at the end of the day they probably didn't set out in life to be a teacher. So to suggest that all teachers lack common sense or practical skills is a gross generalisation.

Archived