Eddie Shah statement

As a rule of thumb I think that most under age girls aren't fat enough yet to look anything like the average woman.

If they aren't big and fat then I wouldn't believe her is she said she was 16 or older.

It's a good guide to follow.

You've only to take a look on the streets. Big fatties driving cars, buying booze or cigarettes - shows they're over the age.

Then there's skinny kids with a can of pop, no fags and no car.

It works and if she's under 17 stone - leave it alone!

As the examples you give nicely illustrate, the law is indeed a blunt instrument - in the first case, no sane person would bring the law into the situation; in the second it might be used to protect the girl from serious harm.

However, as I think you might well agree, there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. One has to trust that those who make decisions about how to implement the law do so wisely

I agree that there is no choice but to draw a line somewhere. My argument is that we keep the common sense approach and use that line as a trigger point for assessing whether a crime has been committed and if so how serious it is.

I simply do not agree with people like Jon Brown of the NSPCC who responded to Shah's comment by saying "We are talking about child abuse or we're talking about rape, it's as simple as that." We cannot apply absolutes like that and have justice.

There's a difference between statutary rape and rape.

A girl of 15 who chooses to have sex with a popstar hasn't been abused or raped.

I don't understand his point really.

A QuicK FYI

The offence is Statutory Rape whe a person has sex with another that is under 16. The law at one time was reasonable about this in that sentences for commiting this offence were taken from a sliding scale which was based on the age difference of the people involved.

I am advocating anyone having sex with someone who is under age whatever their own age. I'm simply clearing up what appears to be a misunderstanding of the law as it stands at present.

I would be interested to know what happens if a man marries a girl who is not yet 16 or even a teenager as some cultures allow and then has sex with her.

A QuicK FYI

The offence is Statutory Rape whe a person has sex with another that is under 16. The law at one time was reasonable about this in that sentences for commiting this offence were taken from a sliding scale which was based on the age difference of the people involved.

I am advocating anyone having sex with someone who is under age whatever their own age. I'm simply clearing up what appears to be a misunderstanding of the law as it stands at present.

I would be interested to know what happens if a man marries a girl who is not yet 16 or even a teenager as some cultures allow and then has sex with her.

Thats a good question, would an immigrant be arrested if he came to the UK and lived with his wife and child if she was under 16, or would they be refused entry in the first place.

A QuicK FYI

That's not quite right Tommo, there is no offence of 'statutory rape' in English law, although minors 12 and under are deemed not able to give consent (even if they do), so the offender will be charged with rape.

That's not quite right Tommo, there is no offence of 'statutory rape' in English law, although minors 12 and under are deemed not able to give consent (even if they do), so the offender will be charged with rape.

Unless, of course, the offender is female and the victim is male.

I agree that there is no choice but to draw a line somewhere. My argument is that we keep the common sense approach and use that line as a trigger point for assessing whether a crime has been committed and if so how serious it is.

I simply do not agree with people like Jon Brown of the NSPCC who responded to Shah's comment by saying "We are talking about child abuse or we're talking about rape, it's as simple as that." We cannot apply absolutes like that and have justice.

But we have to, otherwise the grey area creates legal ambiguity. It's a little like the drink drive laws, I'm sure a lot of people could drive with 6 pints inside them (I know some people who drive better!), but there has to be a proscribed level so everyone knows where they stand (or fall) before they get in a vehicle having had a drink.

Of course there will be 15 year olds who look and behave like 18 year olds, but can you imagine the situation where it's open to debate? Or it can be used as a defence, rather than mitigation in sentencing?

But we have to, otherwise the grey area creates legal ambiguity. It's a little like the drink drive laws, I'm sure a lot of people could drive with 6 pints inside them (I know some people who drive better!), but there has to be a proscribed level so everyone knows where they stand (or fall) before they get in a vehicle having had a drink.

Of course there will be 15 year olds who look and behave like 18 year olds, but can you imagine the situation where it's open to debate? Or it can be used as a defence, rather than mitigation in sentencing?

If you look at the examples I gave earlier then it is obvious that there is no public interest in prosecuting the 18 y.o. lad, whilst doing nothing against the group of 5 men who gangbang a girl, just because one girl is 2 hours younger than the other. The police/CPS need to apply discretion because, despite what the NSPCC say, the 18 year is not a child abuser and shouldn't be treated as one. I really do not think it is too confusing for people to cope with.

As for the drink driving... you may have a point. Perhaps an American style sobriety test would be fairer?

Archived