Mathematical lifting formula

Hi

Press-ups are said to be a measurement of upper body strentgh. But I can only manage 20, one of my friends is 2 stone lighter, but he can do 50 press-ups.

Who is stronger? I am 14 stone. How many press-ups can you do in a minute?

26 btw in a minute.

I have been practicing a little, because I am 51 yrs old, and if I stop keeping fit it will be pipe n slippers time. I have been doing 12, and now up to 15; but 20 straight off just now.

If it involves lifting yourself, as this is, its about power to weight ratio. If it's about pushing an independent weight, as in weighlifting then the bigger muscles win.

Which is more powerful - a 6 litre american car or a 2 litre hot hatch? The second will climb hills and accelerate better as its low weight needs less power to shift it quickly. Consequently, the American car will have more power, torque and towing ability.

Hi

Press-ups are said to be a measurement of upper body strentgh. But I can only manage 20, one of my friends is 2 stone lighter, but he can do 50 press-ups.

Who is stronger? I am 14 stone. How many press-ups can you do in a minute?

Power = force x displacement divided by time.

Pretty easy really ... say for instance it's 6. Therefore 64 is the common denominator when divided by pi ... er ... this comes out at about 726 ... erm ... then you add er ... oh yeah ... 94, and divide by the initial integer, which in this case is an unknown, because that's what you're trying to work out in the first place ... so, let's say 6.7. Now add ... er ... factor 'Y' (not 'factory'!) and subtract the first number that springs to mind ... erm ... just a mo ... 8.73!

Yep! ... that's it ... 8.73!

Now try it yourself with your own body mass index ... you can't go wrong really.

Archived