Good reliable cars for under £2000

thanks Blade73 i know what you mean about comments so just before they start i am in a family as the only earner in private accommodation which is costing me around £550 pcm as i cannot get a house from the council so people like me havent got 6k plus to spend on a car and before someone asks why i have to work on a low income is i am unable to continue in skilled work(im a qualified joiner) due to health reasons. Thanks to carosio for the offer but the Ka is too small for me also im not looking to buy till at least the end of the month.

Hope you find summat mate, just thought an Astra is a not too big not too small car and you see quite a few old uns knocking about so presumably they're pretty good runners.

That money would get you a Peugeot 307 2L diesel around 2003, with around 80,000 miles on the clock. Get one with full service history and a good former owner and the cambelt and waterpump should have already been done. Tax is £100 for the year. You could save even more and get the 1.4 model which is £30 a year tax.

Go for the 90bhp model and you won't have any problems with the clutch as it doesn't have a dual mass flywheel, and it doesn't have a particulate filter on.

It won't win any land speed records but that model is sturdy, reliable, roomy, comfortable (get the SE or LX model and you get front armrests) and cheap to fix. Yes there are known problems, but the good thing is that they're very well known, well documented and cheap and easy to fix and there's a great on-line community.

Parts are cheap too.

Ignore any naysayers who say to ignore French cars, they're just ignorant. Many Peugeots were made in the Midlands, and like just about every other car on the road, contain parts made by companies such as Valeo, Bosch, Siemens and Pierburg. So if the parts are crap, then they'd be crap across the board. Some Pugs actually contain a Ford engine.

I've owned three 307s and numerous other Pugs. I've taken the time and effort to look for a good one and touch wood I've never had any major problems, and they've sailed through their MOTs.

Give me a shout if something like this interests you and I can steer you in the right direction of any local ones, and even get a diagnostic check done before you buy.

For that sort of cash, I'd go for one of these little beauties!

I'm not joking! ... seats four comfortably, cheap insurance, very cheap parts, very easy to work on, economical, will go up in value, fun to drive, a motoring icon ... what more do you want!? :thumbsup:

Have a look at what taxi driver's use, (not london cabs ;)),

anything German or Japanese, I've had no trouble with.

If speaking to a dealer, see if you can get a better warranty in exchange for repeat custom.

hth

That money would get you a Peugeot 307 2L diesel around 2003, with around 80,000 miles on the clock. Get one with full service history and a good former owner and the cambelt and waterpump should have already been done. Tax is £100 for the year. You could save even more and get the 1.4 model which is £30 a year tax.

Go for the 90bhp model and you won't have any problems with the clutch as it doesn't have a dual mass flywheel, and it doesn't have a particulate filter on.

It won't win any land speed records but that model is sturdy, reliable, roomy, comfortable (get the SE or LX model and you get front armrests) and cheap to fix. Yes there are known problems, but the good thing is that they're very well known, well documented and cheap and easy to fix and there's a great on-line community.

Parts are cheap too.

Ignore any naysayers who say to ignore French cars, they're just ignorant. Many Peugeots were made in the Midlands, and like just about every other car on the road, contain parts made by companies such as Valeo, Bosch, Siemens and Pierburg. So if the parts are crap, then they'd be crap across the board. Some Pugs actually contain a Ford engine.

I've owned three 307s and numerous other Pugs. I've taken the time and effort to look for a good one and touch wood I've never had any major problems, and they've sailed through their MOTs.

Give me a shout if something like this interests you and I can steer you in the right direction of any local ones, and even get a diagnostic check done before you buy.

Utter gonads. Anybody in the trade will tell you these later puggys are beyond awful. Even Nissan is tarnished with the french hook up now. Remember the Metro's?? Made in the Midlands - enough said.

The last bold - good advert. You must love mugs buying these joke cars and make a fortune with yer diagnostics kit. The cars should come with them free - because you always need one :hihi:

Mercedes A Class is not too bad.

I wouldn't touch one of these, when the starter goes the whole engine has to come out.

I would say ford focus, I had a 1.8 diesel and had no problems with it.

Utter gonads. Anybody in the trade will tell you these later puggys are beyond awful. Even Nissan is tarnished with the french hook up now. Remember the Metro's?? Made in the Midlands - enough said.

Go on then, get some quotes from people in the trade who say they're awful. If they're so bad why are they so ubiquitous? Its not like the Rover 25 or Rover 200 which dealers don't like to touch. Dealers love the LX and SE 307s because there's a great markup on them and they come with tons of extras, you can get a lot of car for your money.

For every person you can find who says there's rubbish I can easily get you ten owners who are more than happy with their car, myself included.

You need to stop living in the past with your blinkered ignorant view, especially if you've never even owned one. How many years has it been since the Metro was made? Did you miss Top Gear last week which showed how many vehicles were made and are still made in the UK?

Maybe you should tell us what YOU drive and we can pick faults with that.

Go on then, get some quotes from people in the trade who say they're awful. If they're so bad why are they so ubiquitous? Its not like the Rover 25 or Rover 200 which dealers don't like to touch. Dealers love the LX and SE 307s because there's a great markup on them and they come with tons of extras, you can get a lot of car for your money.

For every person you can find who says there's rubbish I can easily get you ten owners who are more than happy with their car, myself included.

You need to stop living in the past with your blinkered ignorant view, especially if you've never even owned one. How many years has it been since the Metro was made? Did you miss Top Gear last week which showed how many vehicles were made and are still made in the UK?

Maybe you should tell us what YOU drive and we can pick faults with that.

Don't let Rampent upset you ... he likes to make inflammatory remarks! :)

I do happen to know that he has a strong affiliation to Lada, and claims to drive one. Personally, I don't know enough about them to tell wether these are good or bad cars (although I suspect the latter). Maybe they're just unfortunate enough to be the butt end of jokes for no good reason ... like the 2CV? :)

This is interesting as I am looking for something similar. I have looked at the mazda6 which there are a few 2l diesel not too high mileage around 05 plates for 2 grandish. what are peoples thoughts on mazda's or would you stick to an older car such as an Audi A4 1.9 diesel, maybe slighltly more mileage and 51 52 plates but supposed to be a more reliable car?

I have been really surprised what you can get for this sort of cash these days.:)

This is interesting as I am looking for something similar. I have looked at the mazda6 which there are a few 2l diesel not too high mileage around 05 plates for 2 grandish. what are peoples thoughts on mazda's or would you stick to an older car such as an Audi A4 1.9 diesel, maybe slighltly more mileage and 51 52 plates but supposed to be a more reliable car?

I have been really surprised what you can get for this sort of cash these days.:)

You can't go wrong with an Audi a4 diesel, reliable and not bad on fuel either but repairs can be expensive.

The one I had was a 2.5 tdi Quattro sport model with all the toys.

I'm sure the mazda6 diesels suffered fuel pump issues.

Archived