Drug smugglers caught in Peru

To resume an old topic : the girls have now received 6 year sentences which is apparently very lenient given that they refused to co-operate with the authorities, (perhaps understandably for fear of retribution). However it was on the news that there is hope that the last 2 years of their sentence could be carried out in a UK jail so that they could be near their families. How much does it cost to keep a prisoner in jail for 2 years? Who will pay for this? Will it be the families or will it be the taxpayer (you and me). If it is the taxpayer do we get to have a say about where our tax is going?

we pay and no you don't

They were young and stupid so I'm glad they've not been hung out to dry for 30 years but I'm also glad they'll get some comeuppance for their crime.

There was someone from a prisoners abroad charity on the news this morning saying they were raising funds to send them food parcels because the prisons in Peru are heavily overcrowded and they might suffer from hunger.

They were young and stupid so I'm glad they've not been hung out to dry for 30 years but I'm also glad they'll get some comeuppance for their crime.

There was someone from a prisoners abroad charity on the news this morning saying they were raising funds to send them food parcels because the prisons in Peru are heavily overcrowded and they might suffer from hunger.

Oh and they send a chrimbo card,how much government funding do these people get,if you can't do the time,don't do the crime,can't we send all our foreign criminals back to where they came from.

Some years since I was there but at the time the average wage for a teacher was about $30 a month so many people were living on $10-20 a month. The local cafe served a sort of stew which cost a few peso's and seemed to be the staple diet for many people. However I couldn't bring myself to eat it as the layer of fat floating on the top looked awful. If that is what the girls are given then six years is going to be a very long time.

Why don't the family buy a place out there to be closer? They should pick up the tab for their daughters criminal activity, not us.

I'm on the fence with this one, as drug smugglers they should rot in a Peruvian jail, but as a father I can see how a couple of young girls could easily be duped into smuggling and would hope for leniency.

Isn't it the case in South America (as in many gaols in the third world - in Africa, the Indian sub-continent and the Far East) that the prisoners' family are responsible for providing their food? I also understand that this is the case in many of the hospital systems, too.

I agree that the prisons are shockingly overcrowded, but then again look at the situation in our own prisons here in the UK...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so they have their sentences now.

Personally I don't give a damn what they were bringing in no-one makes people buy it.

All the morally outraged can get off their soap boxex now. The two women were only bringing into the country something the government can't tax or won't legalise and tax because it might cost them votes. Alcohol and smoking both kill more than narcotics but you don't see those being called class1 drugs then the manufacturers and dealers being locked up. But if you bring in too much of your own from abroad (including europe) the concern is for the loss of revenue. Hypocracy is a word that comes to mind.

But like I said the women have their sentences, the media have got a few headlines out of it, no-one really gives a damn, except a few of their friends and families. In all probability they will serve their sentences if they are lucky they may well both live through the experience. If they do the press will be all over them for a few days, then be outraged when one or both of them either sell their stories to another paper or write a book.

They will get their full 15 minutes of fame and if lucky live through it and be set for life. Good luck to them, now can we forget about them.

Archived