Rutand Way. Anyone know if houses on this road years ago?

As title asks, Rutand Way, Sheffield near Wicks DIY. Does anyone know this history of this road?

Thanks.

Think there used to be a road round round there called Apple Street many years ago ... terraced houses, all demolished now.

As title asks, Rutand Way, Sheffield near Wicks DIY. Does anyone know this history of this road?

Thanks.

Rutland Way industrial estate did not exist until around the late 70's early 80's, up until then the area was occupied by factory’s.

Think there used to be a road round round there called Apple Street many years ago ... terraced houses, all demolished now.

Apple Street was between Harvest Lane and Pye Bank (Pitsmoor Road).

Rutland Way industrial estate did not exist until around the late 70's early 80's, up until then the area was occupied by factory’s.

Apple Street was between Harvest Lane and Pye Bank (Pitsmoor Road).

The only reason I was aware of Apple Street is through the childhood reminiscences of a very old gentleman I know ... I was uncertain of the exact location. Apparently, a lot of that area was meadows and he and his friends used to play in the river Don.

I find it fascinating ... do you know where I can find a map going back to the 1930's? I can find little information concerning Apple Street.

The only reason I was aware of Apple Street is through the childhood reminiscences of a very old gentleman I know ... I was uncertain of the exact location. Apparently, a lot of that area was meadows and he and his friends used to play in the river Don.

I find it fascinating ... do you know where I can find a map going back to the 1930's? I can find little information concerning Apple Street.

Scroll down to 1923 and 1935, the bottom section of Rutland Road is also on these .. www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.

Here is an early 1900s map of the area with Apple Street arrowed..:)

Thank you :)

I see Apple Street is now gone, although Harvest Lane still exists. Any idea where I can get any old photos of this area from ... the old gentleman concerned (in my above post) would love to see them. His memory of childhood is excellent, almost as if it were yesterday, sadly, all other memory is virtually lost. He has no photos.

Sorry O/P for (unintentionally) hijacking this thread ... maybe I'll go and start one of my own. :)

Hi Alcoblog - the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) has lots of photos of the area. Many of them are visible on their website and high-quality copies can be ordered (£8 for a 10" x 8" print). Here is a link to a photo of Apple Street and another link to a photo of the pub on the corner of Harvest Lane and Apple Street. This link shows the range of photos of Apple Street on the website..:)

Hi Alcoblog - the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) has lots of photos of the area. Many of them are visible on their website and high-quality copies can be ordered (£8 for a 10" x 8" print). Here is a link to a photo of Apple Street and another link to a photo of the pub on the corner of Harvest Lane and Apple Street. This link shows the range of photos of Apple Street on the website..:)

That's really kind of you to take the time hillsbro.:thumbsup:

I'm certainly going to look into this ... when the old gentleman I talk to reminisces, his eyes light up ... you can see he's re-living early memories.

It'll be great to give him some photos of where he lived as a kid, I know he'll recognise them. :)

Archived