Charities - do you give?

I never give to charity, hardly any of the money actually gets to the people in need. If you want to help people in poverty, why not give directly?

That's an argument for not giving to big globalist charity. A good one. But it's a fail with regard to efficient local charitys and indeed efficient national charities.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

After the news about fat-salaried executives for so many well-known charities will it make any difference to whom you give donations to, that's if you do?

Yes.

I found out what some of these charity bosses were earning a while ago by going online, ( I started a thread about it.)

I've since sent them all a letter explaining why I was stopping my standing order donations to them, and have instead set up donations to similar but more hard-up local charities.

There are a lot of good people out there, working for next to nothing. They need your support, and after this debacle I think they are more worthy of it.

I give as and when I can though it's more likely to be a local charity than a large national for reasons that have been quoted here already.

on the flip side...

We rescued two dogs from an almost certain premature end; a charitable act and one which we pay towards every month of every year with food and vet bills should there be any.

If I donate it's more likely to be an animal charity

I give to 2 charities that iv chosen to support for various reasons but one thing I can't stand is doin a long shift at work gettin home and cookin tea, sortin out the animals, cleaning up then just as I get out the bath and get my 'arris' comfortable on the sofa there's a knock at the door and I open it to find a grinning idiot speaking to me as if we're long lost friends and all but begging me to give them money every month for their charity, I don't want to be pestered in my own home like this, I want to choose my own charities to donate to and not have to stand and feel awkward on my doorstep when iv already said no in as many ways as I can think of without resorting to swearing!

I was subjected to a long spiel from a couple of youngsters from some charity to donate a monthly sum to them.

As a 'come on' I was handed a tea bag which represented, I can't remember what.

What made me laugh was that when I told them I wasn't interested, the girl who had done all the talking, snatched the tea bag from my hand turned and they both walked down the path and went next door:hihi::hihi:

not to those who knock on my door I don't. I choose which charities I support and make donations directly to them. I'm not being 'sold' a charity by a professional begger!

I switch charities every few years so I'm contributing to as many as I can in my lifetime.

I give to Rain Rescue because they do fantastic work, the RNLI because every British person should, the British Legion for obvious reasons and McMillan Cancer Care.

I give ad hoc to a lot of good causes mainly local but also regional and national but those are the main charities i support and they do a fantastic job with the money we give them.

I've just put out a bag for MacMillan, I find it much more convenient than taking bags to their shops.

I do the same for the Lifeboat charity, YMCA, British Heart Foundation, Shaw Trust, and Shelter

don't know if any of the above we mentioned in any news articles, but may give more attention to the smaller charities now.

Archived