Blue box - confused!

We didnt know we were allowed to do that

Provided you don't mix them, you can use the bin for paper and card and the box for the random other stuff, glass, plastic etc, or vice versa, depending on how much of each you have at the collection. Provided it's not over the top of the box or the bin lid won't close, they'll take it away.

That's what we do anyway, never had a problem - so far. :)

Aren't they working-to-rule just now?

Last weekend we had a flyer from a private company, they left a green bag for small electrical items.

These firms make money from selling recyclable goods; but yet the council bods wont even take it it looks wrong :loopy:

I use the blue bin for paper and the box for the other recyclables. But yes, you can swap as long as you don't mix them.

I had to call Veolia the other day as my blue bin wan't emptied and the first thing they asked was did the lid shut and was anything on top? I've seen an overfilled blue box get left on my road but in my case my bin just got missed. They were great and came back for it, maybe try giving them a call?

Can't you just burn it in the evening.

no i am asthmatic, i get short of breath when the air is smoky. plus it's annoying to the neighbours, some of which leave their washing out overnight.

i usually don't have a large amount of cardboard but as i said in my original post, we moved in recently so there are a lot of flattened cardboard boxes to get rid of. it would be nice if they recycled tetrapaks too, i use a lot and have to take them to sainsburys.:shakes:

hi chipspice

welcome to sheffield!!!

i use the big blue bin for paper and the smaller one for plastics etc.

i am currently having a big clear out and am basically having to store up the paper to keep filling up the bin when it is emptied.people are right - they won't take it if the bin lid is open or not down properly. i'm also planning on burning some of it as i have far too much stuff for my shredder to deal with! just waiting for a time when the neighbours are out so i don't annoy everyone with the smoke.

hope you get it sorted

I'm a keen recycler, but don't suffer from OCD ... I converted my blue box into a handy plant-pot holder which I keep in the shed. The blue wheelie bin went 'missing' ages ago ... fortunately, freeing up space on my pathway.

I feel I'm now doing my bit for the environment, as by placing all my rubbish into the black bin, it saves a lorry trip (all them noxious exhaust fumes!) by Veolia, just to collect some out-of-date newspapers and stinky bits of plastic once a fortnight (which, if they don't get sent half way round the world on container ships to be turned into margarine cartons and Jedward CD's, just get buried with all the other rubbish anyway)

So, as well as helping to make the city (and the world) 'greener', I can also walk up and down my garden path with less hindrance. Win, win situation all round!

My neighbour and I share our blue bins which means we use one bin for paper and card,

and the other for cans and bottles.

Having observed the waste disposal operatives on several occasions they put both bins on

the same auto-emptying chute, which means the truck will be mixing paper, card, cans and

bottles. Is this a mistake by the guys operating the chute or is this normal operation?

if our black bin lid is even slightly open they wont take it utter lazy sods

most dont no what hard work even is i would love them to go back to old way when we had steel bins they had to carry up your yard to empty it and back down your yard rather than just sticking it on truck let the truck lift it then just stick your bin anyway on the front yard are in road

Archived