Would you rather have affordable train travel or housing?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have affordable train travel or housing?

• Affordable train travel
    • Affordable housing
    • Affordable train travel and housing.
    • I am content with falling living standards.
    • I currently can afford neither train travel or housing.
    • Don't know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23668507

The rate of house price inflation in the UK is continuing to rise, according to official statistics.

Prices in the year to June rose by 3.1%, said the Office for National Statistics (ONS), up from 2.9% in May.

The cost of housing continues to rise. The inflation in housing is controlled and actively encouraged by the government. There is no free-market. Our dear leaders ensure the cost of a citizen housing themselves increases.

Social housing rents are forced to increase above inflation, as they have been every year for over 10 years now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23677173

Commuters in England face an average 4.1% rise in regulated rail fares - including season tickets - next year.

Ministers say the rises will pay for investment in the rail network.

Trade unions organised protests at stations around the country and called for the rail network to be returned to public ownership.

The cost of travelling on the train continues to rise. The inflation in train travel is controlled by the government. There is no free-market. Our dear leaders ensure citizens pay more to travel on a train.

Wages have not even kept up with inflation. Workers are poorer, for working, because the currency cannot hold its value.

The cost of housing and travelling on the train is forced to increase above inflation (and in turn drive inflation), by the government.

So I ask you, the people of Sheffield forum.

Cost of food continues to rise. Cost of travelling by car continues to rise. Cost of pretty much everything else continues to rise.

What is the relevance of housing v train travel?

Cars and food can be imported without requiring planning permission to be used/consumed. Trains and houses on the other hand...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23668507

The cost of housing continues to rise. The inflation in housing is controlled and actively encouraged by the government. There is no free-market. Our dear leaders ensure the cost of a citizen housing themselves increases.

Social housing rents are forced to increase above inflation, as they have been every year for over 10 years now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23677173

The cost of travelling on the train continues to rise. The inflation in train travel is controlled by the government. There is no free-market. Our dear leaders ensure citizens pay more to travel on a train.

Wages have not even kept up with inflation. Workers are poorer, for working, because the currency cannot hold its value.

The cost of housing and travelling on the train is forced to increase above inflation (and in turn drive inflation), by the government.

So I ask you, the people of Sheffield forum.

Where is the option "I can afford to pay my own way and would prefer not to subsidize everyone else's.

Why can't we have both? I doubt the government will step in to curb prices.

The government won't step in regarding housing prices, particularly the rental market because most of them are landlords and are raking it in.

We used to have rent controls in this country but surprise surprise, the tory government in the 90s repealed the act, just as all the social housing was being sold of to "developers" ie tory MPs.

Archived