Would you rather have affordable train travel or housing?

Would you rather have affordable train travel or housing?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have affordable train travel or housing?

• Affordable train travel
    • Affordable housing
    • Affordable train travel and housing.
    • I am content with falling living standards.
    • I currently can afford neither train travel or housing.
    • Don't know.

I own my house and only use the train to go on holiday.

But in answer to the question, I'd prefer both.

Funny though, yesterday's news reported that both train fares and house prices had gone up. The train story was reported as bad news, the house story as good news.

I've never understood that. The only people who benefit from increasing house prices are estate agents, the taxman (stamp duty) and those wishing to sell their house and downsize.

I own my house and only use the train to go on holiday.

But in answer to the question, I'd prefer both.

Funny though, yesterday's news reported that both train fares and house prices had gone up. The train story was reported as bad news, the house story as good news.

I've never understood that. The only people who benefit from increasing house prices are estate agents, the taxman (stamp duty) and those wishing to sell their house and downsize.

That's because buying a train ticket makes them poorer and owning an house makes them feel wealthier if it increases in price. I've had conversation with people that are over the moon that the house they paid £20k for is now worth £100k, but at the same time they are angry that their children can't afford an house.

---------- Post added 14-08-2013 at 19:40 ----------

reason for edit. It's a secret.

Too late, your not so secret secret is out. :D

That's because buying a train ticket makes them poorer and owning an house makes them feel wealthier if it increases in price. I've had conversation with people that are over the moon that the house they paid £20k for is now worth £100k, but at the same time they are angry that their children can't afford an house.

Which is great, but the house they may want to move into, that was worth £45K, is now being sold for £275k.

I have no desire whatsoever to move from where I live. So any increase in "value" that my house has means absolutely nothing to me. And I have no children or dependents so they can't even reap the benefit.

I suppose I could leave it to the PDSA.

Which is great, but the house they may want to move into, that was worth £45K, is now being sold for £275k.

I have no desire whatsoever to move from where I live. So any increase in "value" that my house has means absolutely nothing to me. And I have no children or dependents so they can't even reap the benefit.

I suppose I could leave it to the PDSA.

Yes and at that point they expect full market value for their property and expect the seller to reduce the price on the one they want to buy.

Yes I thought the same, affordable housing closer to her place of work would put more money in her pocket, cut environmental pollution and give her more time with her family, where as affordable travel just givers her more money in her pocket. Affordable housing is the way to go.

Travelling 80 miles to do a job that's barely above minimum wage, she'd be better off looking for work closer to home.

Looking at the rent in Wellingborough, she might only pay £400pcm, but for the £5000 train fare, she should double that an move to zone 2, or maybe zone 3.

---------- Post added 14-08-2013 at 20:37 ----------

I think its good that the cost of train fares and petrol increases because it forces people to evaluate the damage they are causing to the environment.

It may not be fare, but lifes not fair ;):D:hihi:

What does it matter to me cheap train travel? not much because my employer pays for the train fares, so as far as I'm concerned they could put the price of a ticket from Sheffield to LOndon up to £500, there would be less people on the train.

Perhaps your employer would sack you as it's not worth paying that much to send you to London.

Travelling 80 miles to do a job that's barely above minimum wage, she'd be better off looking for work closer to home.

Looking at the rent in Wellingborough, she might only pay £400pcm, but for the £5000 train fare, she should double that an move to zone 2, or maybe zone 3.

Assuming there is work to be had closer to home then yes she would be better off, the sad reality is that there may not be any work for her to do closer to home which is why she travels some distance to work.

Archived