Should Afghan interpreters be allowed to live in UK?

Yes, unfortunately we do.

Look, we let alsorts of undesirables from accross the globe into our country who frankly need turfing out - if we could find them. But we know these. They speak English, we know their employment history (working for us!)and doubtless have their fingerprints and DNA. I agree immigration needs tackling but these people should be allowed entry - if they want it. They might fancy somewhere else - I'm sure their skills were used by other armies out there.

Yes, I was under the impression our troops stayed on to train Afghan troops who in turn would make Afghanistan a safer place to live.

Our police can give witnesses new identities after they give evidence, so I'm sure the Afghans can do the same for these few interpreters and their families, its a big country with safe areas.

Half of which are bent.I can imagine them at the police station.Ok ladies and gents and kids,to collect your new ID, can you all please line up,with your back to the wall.Please face the equal amount of men in front of you.There is a sack in front of you if you wish to put over your head to remain anonymous :hihi::hihi: click................

I'm on the fence tbh but leaning towards no.

On the one hand yes they helped the troops but on the other hand they chose to do so knowing the possible consequences.

Yes these interpreters must be far more heroic than our troops who left their families behind in the UK to take up arms and go head to head in gun fights against the Taliban in order to make it a better place for people just like the Afghan interpreters.

Sorry I'm taking the mick there I know, I don't see why we should bend over backwards with gratitude because a few people helped us to help them. It was always in their self interest to help coalition forces, to see them turf out the mad mullahs. Sure it was a risk for them, I'll have to tell that to all the mothers and wives of dead British squaddies who didn't come home.

Yes these interpreters must be far more heroic than our troops who left their families behind in the UK to take up arms and go head to head in gun fights against the Taliban in order to make it a better place for people just like the Afghan interpreters.

Sorry I'm taking the mick there I know, I don't see why we should bend over backwards with gratitude because a few people helped us to help them. It was always in their self interest to help coalition forces, to see them turf out the mad mullahs. Sure it was a risk for them, I'll have to tell that to all the mothers and wives of dead British squaddies who didn't come home.

What do you think about the soldiers who are presenting the signatures to the government then ? They know (as they were there and you weren't) the value of these guys. They saved lives, British ( I say British but probably also Fijian, African, Australian, and all the other nationalities who make up 10% of the British army) lives I'm quite sure.

Why can't they go and live in America?

I'm sure there are those living in America who have the same short sightedness by uttering "why can't they go live in the UK".:roll:

---------- Post added 14-08-2013 at 16:20 ----------

What do you think about the soldiers who are presenting the signatures to the government then ? They know (as they were there and you weren't) the value of these guys. They saved lives, British ( I say British but probably also Fijian, African, Australian, and all the other nationalities who make up 10% of the British army) lives I'm quite sure.

Soldiers on the ground haven't got a clue, sevenrivers knows much better.

Archived