What was your experience of a cruise like?

Hi I am thinking about going on a cruise and I was wanting to know if you enjoyed it do you recommend it and where did you go what did you do?

I want to go on a nice one not one like a butlins camp a friend told me it was like or are they all like that?

Thanks Jack

First one a two-week one when my ex worked for P&O so didn't cost us much, only five stop-offs so not long enough, went to Europe, W.Africa,and Canaries.

Second one to West Indies was more enjoyable,my parents came with us and some other peeps my ex knew were on board too and we made new friends.

Hi I am thinking about going on a cruise and I was wanting to know if you enjoyed it do you recommend it and where did you go what did you do?

I want to go on a nice one not one like a butlins camp a friend told me it was like or are they all like that?

Thanks Jack

I would not have thought a cruise holiday would be like a week at Butlins.

Would love to go on a cruise holiday myself, but always visualised them as for older people.

My wife and I went to the Bahamas and Key West in Dec 2012. (Local area for us.)

It was pleasant enough; the ship was comfortable, the food was OK and the crew were very pleasant.

It was, however, a 'once in a lifetime' experience. I wouldn't bother going on another.

I've been on six of them with Bolsover cruise club

My favourite was to the Norwegian fjords, each time we have sailed out of Southampton its really on a plate they do everything for you coach pick up your suitcase delivered direct to your cabin and back and the age group is a mixed bag of 40 plus. Ps it's was nothing like a butlins camp

http://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/

Went on an 8 day cruise to Alaska last year with Celebrity. We paid a bit more but had an outside cabin with a private verandah.

I would recommend paying the extra for that anytime. Stopped at Ketchican, Juneau and Sagaway. Fantastic scenery but it was cold even in July, snow on tops of the mountains.

Highlights were a bus trip far up into the mountains where the there was a narrated tour of some of parts where the gold rush took place, standing on an actual glacier and a helicopter ride to see bears and lots of other wild life and panning for gold

Cruise finished with a few hours ashore on Victoria Island, B.C. Canada. Lovely place.

Cruise did not cover air fare to Seattle to board ship but there was champagne served once aboard and a complimentary bottle of French wine and a bowl of fruit waiting in the cabin

Several very nice classy restaurants aboard but they skimped on the food. It was included in the price of the cruise of course but you'd need a magnifying glass half the time to see what was on the plate. The booze was not free and not cheap either... even the beer.

After a couple of disappointing meals in the snoot restaurants we avoided them and ate on the buffet deck where the food was very varied, nicely prepared and in quantities large enough to satisfy someone a bit larger than a five year old.

Some people like 'em, some don't.

As I said in my previous post, I couldn't fault the service - but it was all a bit too 'structured' for me. (Butlins? - Could be.)

Excellent food, excellent service ... but I suspect that had I forgotten to wipe my arse, somebody would have done that for me.

I prefer holidays where I plan my itinerary (or sometimes screw it up) and do my own thing.

It was indeed a 'once in a lifetime experience'. I wouldn't go on another because I prefer to arrange my own itinerary.

Archived