What was your experience of a cruise like?

P&O very good, food excellent, plenty to do, from art classes to choir to dancing lessons, also good gym. First class service, well organised trips ashore, or you could go independently. First class entertainment at night. Been once, will definitely go again.

Never been to Butlins however.

We did one round the Med for 8 days with my daughter and family.

Really enjoyed it .The food was great, I went out like Twiggy and came back like Buddha.

However,my daughter, family and friends went on the same ship on the same tour 2 years later and said it was rubbish.

I've been on several...... Mainly Fred Olsen, Royal Caribbean, Hurtigruten to the Norewegian fjords and once on MSC...

Like everything else, you need to choose your cruiseline carefully!!!

Cunard are apparently very class conscious... I've not tried P & O but they have some family-friendly ships and some Adults-only...

I found MSC to be very European in style, smoking was allowed in one of the bars (which my bf enjoyed, but I wasn't so keen on!!!) They picked up passengers in each port, so there was a real mix of French/German/Spanish on board and so all the announcements were repeated in several languages!!!!

The Fred Olsen ships are commonly known as "Nursing Homes on Sea" such are the ages of the passengers - but my bf and I have always had a cracking time!!! The ships tend to be smaller, so they can get into ports where the larger ships don't go..... The staff are very friendly and they have a "Crew Show" on board, where the engineers/catering/housekeeping staff are able to show off their talents..... (Booze tends to be more pub prices as well!!! Though they have a £10 per night all-inclusive deal at the moment, which is really good value!!!)

Royal Caribbean ships tend to be huge (around 3000 passengers) with lots and lots going on... American-based ships with fairly expensive alcohol prices and because the staff work on commission/tips they tend to be around all the time asking if you want another drink - usually before you've finished the last!!!!!

I've not tried Thomsons - but I do get the impression they're more "Butlins-on-Sea" - but I could be wrong!!!

Have a look at http://www.cruise.co.uk - they have a "Reviews" section which could give you more idea what you're looking for!!!

Whichever you decide on, you'll have fun, I'm sure!!!!!!! :) :)

We've been on 40+ any have only on one had cause to complain, as prices have plummeted ther has been a marked lowering in the standard of the food but it is still on par with a decent restaurant.

My advice is to go for it,cruising has never been so cheap,start on the small ships like Thomsons, they are always so friendly.

Went on one with airtours years few years ago and loved it. We went for 10 days included canaries, gibralter, madeira, morocco and more, day on land and one sailing which gave you time to relax. Food and service was excellent and as our ship had just been cruising west indies, everything on ship was charged in us dollars which made drinks nice and cheap!

Archived