Diesel cars and short journeys dpf?

Any advice please, we are looking at changing our car an 04 diesel rover for a 59 plate Passat, we only do approx 5k a year, loads of short journeys 2 or 3 miles and occasional camping.

We have seen a Passat estate which looks great but have been told all new diesels have a dp filter and if you don't get the engine hot enough it can be very expensive to sort?

Not all modern diesels have a DPF. Its usually models with an engine over 110BHP.

Although a car would drive OK on short journeys, I strongly wouldn't advise it. The filter will get clogged up far more often and it will be "regenerating" (i.e. cleaning) all the time, and the additive tank and particulate filter will need changing at a lower mileage than usual.

The regenerations puts a strain on the battery, glow plugs, glow plug relay, and cooling fan and will shorten their life drastically.

If you're after an estate its unlikely that you'd get one with a small engine that doesn't have the filter.

You'll also find it probably has a dual mass flywheel clutch. Lovely in making the clutch light and reducing engine judder, but very expensive to replace compared to a single mass flywheel clutch system.

Diesels do not reach their optimum working temperature on short trips to the shops etc so a petrol would probably be more suitable for you.Repairs for diesels are also quite expensive,by not reaching their correct working temp you will also be using more fuel and not getting the performance as you can expect when hot,have you noticed how taxi and lorry drivers like to keep the engines running its not just to keep the cbs interior warm.

Agree with above my dad has a Nissan x trail diesel and has had loads of problems with this can get very expensive apparently.

He now has to take it on longer trips at higher revs to try and avoid it happening again!

Would defiantly stick to petrol for short journeys in future.

Any advice please, we are looking at changing our car an 04 diesel rover for a 59 plate Passat, we only do approx 5k a year, loads of short journeys 2 or 3 miles and occasional camping.

We have seen a Passat estate which looks great but have been told all new diesels have a dp filter and if you don't get the engine hot enough it can be very expensive to sort?

Why do you think it would be expensive to sort? One trip down a motorway is all thats needed.

There are bigger problems with petrols that would put me off,head gaskets are one.

Of course nowadays you can bearly give a petrol away.

If you need a regen forcing pm me,most vehicles.

Get the diesel..............

---------- Post added 15-08-2013 at 10:55 ----------

Diesels do not reach their optimum working temperature on short trips to the shops etc so a petrol would probably be more suitable for you.Repairs for diesels are also quite expensive,by not reaching their correct working temp you will also be using more fuel and not getting the performance as you can expect when hot,have you noticed how taxi and lorry drivers like to keep the engines running its not just to keep the cbs interior warm.

lorry drivers dont need to run their engines to keep the cab warm,they have a diesel heater to do that!

The reason for diesels taking longer to warm up is simple,they are more efficiant you get nothing for nothing.

More heat = More money in Tank

Why do you think it would be expensive to sort? One trip down a motorway is all thats needed.

Bit of a misnomer that, a run down the motorway doesn't instantly cure or rid the car of the built up particulates or make up for a lifetime of local driving. And the car decides when its ready for a regeneration, not the owner. Going on the motorway won't force one unless certain criteria are met, so that's a bit misleading.

Not to mention the inconvenience to the OP having to drive up and down the motorway just because he owns a diesel car.

Plus the EGR valve will get blocked from short trips, and no amount of blasting down the motorway will cure that.

DPFs and dual mass clutches are not fitted to all VAG cars. You prob need to check the specific model and engine.

I've got an octy diesel and no probs so far despite almost 100k on the clock. Similarly the OH has Diesel Fabia for short journeys - no DPF though.

Lots of nay sayers on diesels for short journeys, but I think VAG engines have fewer problems than most. The main thing for me would be the economics. Second hand diesels are more expensive and with short journeys you might not get the fuel economy to make it worthwhile.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Good points there Pete. I've had a few 306 diesels which have been fine for short journeys, but they're old, heavy and expensive to tax because they're pre-2001.

But there's still the issue of the gumming up of the EGR valve to contend with. So many people encounter problems with them, and block them off. There's a guy on Ebay knocking out blanking plates and he does a roaring trade!

Not sure about VAGs but some diesel engines (Mazda for one) contaminate the oil with fuel when used for lots of short journeys due to repeated regeneration fails when you switch off the ignition. Eventually the level of contamination reaches the point where the engine runs on its own oil until it self destructs.

Can be quite expensive to sort...

Archived