Diesel cars and short journeys dpf?

Yeah I did wonder what response I would get to the VAG question. I haven't really looked for petrol Passat as the jct 600 said they were far and few between. However I have just spent an hour wandering around direct cars, and the majority are diesel but they do have a saloon and an estate insignia in both are 1.8 sri, I like the look of them and so does the wife so that's a bonus come back to weigh up the running costs.

Any opinions on the insignias more than welcome.

I can't comment on the Insignias aside from I think they look nice, however I do have a 1.8Ecotec Astra, and the 1.8 in mine has been absolutely spot on, providing it was kept properly, a friend of mine cleaned out the throttle body, changed the cambelt and water pump, and I changed the MAF sensor, and it runs perfect now. I don't know how the 1.8 SRI compares to my 1.8Ecotec, but as I've said in a previous thread, I get £20 of petrol a week in mine, and I generally just go here and there. A petrol engine can be incredibly economical if you drive it properly.

DPF are a pain.they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard,just a money spinner for the main dealers..long journeys diesels are better and more economical, running around town a little petrol car like a Nissan micra or Suzuki swift are ideal,you can bypass DPFs, there are a few companies in Sheffield that advertise that they can Bypass the filter and remap the ECU so the car will run without it.apparently if the DPF was fitted on the car when it was made it has to be there to pass an MOT,what they do is leave the empty box there and fit a pipe through it, for all intent and purpose it appears to still be there doing its job filtering all those nasty diesel particulates out . when the DPF warning light comes on even if you were to take it to bits and clean the DPF out your self with some cleaning substance of sorts you still have to take it to someone who has the OBD program to reset the ECU so it will run...just a big con..well I suppose we all have to take the environment seriously.:roll:

DPF are a pain.they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard,just a money spinner for the main dealers..long journeys diesels are better and more economical, running around town a little petrol car like a Nissan micra or Suzuki swift are ideal,you can bypass DPFs, there are a few companies in Sheffield that advertise that they can Bypass the filter and remap the ECU so the car will run without it.apparently if the DPF was fitted on the car when it was made it has to be there to pass an MOT,what they do is leave the empty box there and fit a pipe through it, for all intent and purpose it appears to still be there doing its job filtering all those nasty diesel particulates out . when the DPF warning light comes on even if you were to take it to bits and clean the DPF out your self with some cleaning substance of sorts you still have to take it to someone who has the OBD program to reset the ECU so it will run...just a big con..well I suppose we all have to take the environment seriously.:roll:

Genuine question...won't the fact that the filter isn't there affect the emissions reading for the MOT?

we have a diesel scenic 56plate ( 7seater)..."check injection" arrghhhh- always the dpf. we do short runs ( kiss and work) and have aoent hundreds of pounds on it. then it comes on again. ....we put special stuff already mentioned and then we run it "hard" low gear high revs on motor way every couple of weeks ( advice given last time we had ut done). in short I wouldnt buy another. but when the lights not on it runs so well!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Genuine question...won't the fact that the filter isn't there affect the emissions reading for the MOT?

No the DPF filters particulates out soot basically , the catalyst filters out the carbon monoxide hydrocarbons other nasty emissions that the emission readers pick up on,the DPF is like a sort of filter that catches the soot from the exhaust,scientist believe that diesel particulates are carcinogenic.

It's not just the DPF filters you need to worry about on that car. The EPB (electronic parking brake) are prone to issues and can be very expensive to repair/replace. If your lucky its just the switch that goes down which leaves you unable to release the parking brake, costing just £29.

The motor and piston goes the bill will be around £400.

AVOID THESE CARS!!!

It is a very common fault.

I believe that years ago Russia banned diesels because they were carcagenic. my personal choice is petrol everytime,its a quieter ride and doesnt sound like a skeleton in a dustbin doing naughty things,diesels are fine in trucks and tractors maybe the top end of cars fitted with diesels are better ie mercs and beamers probably more refined.Both methods of propulsion have their pro and cons it all depends on what you want them.

ok so Passats are out, I'm now toying with insignias don't appear to do many MPG at least the 1.8 or maybe Avensis seems better MPG again 1.8 both petrol.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 08:53 ----------

How's this for spooky we have a few company car estates where I work octavias, insignia and a passat.

Guess which one broke down yesterday?

something to do with gases and the cat something like that but the bill is in excess of £1k the car has done 78K and is 2 years old. And apparently not warranty!

Best cars to buy for reliability diesel or petrol are Japanese cars, the top most reliable makes in the world are all Japanese cars like Honda and Mitsubishi etc not just hearsay but facts...

Its an old chestnut. As others have said, many Japanese cars are not even made in Japan anymore. As for reliability, these links, all from the past few months , say otherwise. And there's more going back over the past few years.

Honda recalls select 2013 Accords over fuel tank neck

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/honda-recalls-select-2013-accords-over-fuel-tank-neck/

Honda is expanding an earlier recall of its compact Fit hatchback, saying another 48,000 vehicles need to have their stability control software updated. Thursday’s announcement brings to 91,920 the number of Honda Fits from the 2012 and 2013 model years that are affected by the recall.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-honda-expands-recall-fit-20130719,0,5793550.story

Honda recalls 143,000 cars again for potential fire hazard

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/28/autos-honda-recall-idUSL2N0F41P120130628

Nissan to recall more than 800,000 cars

Nissan has said it plans to recall about 841,000 vehicles worldwide due to a faulty steering wheel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22635439

Nissan recalls 500,000 British-built Micras over fears steering wheel could FALL OFF in driver's hands

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329467/Nissan-recalls-500-000-British-built-Micras-fears-steering-wheel-fall-drivers-hands.html

Toyota recalls 342,000 trucks for seat belt issue

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/toyota-recalls-342-000-trucks-seat-belt-issue-6C10867723

TOYOTA RECALLS HILUX SINGLE CAB MODELS TO CHECK POTENTIAL ISSUE WITH OVER RAIL BEDLINER INSTALLATION

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=Owners-Info-Recall

Reliable? Maybe once. Death traps? You betcha!

Archived