Workers from Bulgaria and Romania up 26%

A quarter of 20 is 5.Fractions don't mean very much.These people make up 0.3% of UK workers.

From this mornings news.

The number of people in work increased by 69,000 in the three months to June, up to 29.78 million. That is the highest level since records began in 1971.

That means 307,000 more people are in employment in the UK, compared with the same time last year.

The ONS's David Freeman said two-thirds of this increase had been seen in UK nationals. A third of the employment increase came from non-UK nationals working in the UK.

In the last three months the number of Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK rose by a quarter.

Restrictions on the type of jobs people from these two countries are due to expire later this year which may mean that even more come over.

Isn't it great that they want to come over here and help the UK economy during these times of austerity?

Or would you rather they went back to where they came from?

That could also read, JSA claimants 29,000 higher than expected because more people have moved to the UK to find work.

I don't think we have the option any more. Good old Gordon Brown signed the treaty that allows free movement of labour from the eastern block of the EU. So now governments can only restrict the flow from non EU countries.

I'm pretty sure he didn't.

The report is from the ONS again, that says it all.

Why not a country where wages are even higher than those in the UK?

Genuine questions..as EU residents will they be entitled to benefits while they are looking for employment here? What about other countries where wages are higher? Or have all the people coming here from Romania/Bulgaria already have jobs lined up? As I said all genuine questions..

Genuine questions..as EU residents will they be entitled to benefits while they are looking for employment here? What about other countries where wages are higher? Or have all the people coming here from Romania/Bulgaria already have jobs lined up? As I said all genuine questions..

I seem to remember about something about consideration of clamping down on benefits for new EU nationals the other week, but I suspect that it is just paper talk.

Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway(Europe?)

I seem to remember the benefit discussion moving on to them only been allowed into the UK if they have a job. I'm not sure how that would work since I suspect most will be young men between the ages of 18-30 who enter the UK by clandestine. My own opinion is that they will work in agriculture, family or fiend's business, prostitution or pick pocketing and ripping off ATMs etc. Whatever the reason, the most vocal people in the UK do not want them

---------- Post added 15-08-2013 at 11:32 ----------

How many UK citizens are unable to work, and how many are actually meant to be looking for work? Are these figures changing over time?

No, the figures hardly ever change and never will, so I really don't know why people get a bee in their bonnet about it.

That depends on your point of view I suppose. If you are an employer in London running a bar, cafe or hotel and struggling for staff you are probably happy for a load of Bulgarians wanting to work. If you are a feckless individual expecting to walk between and overpaid to do jobs you probably think it a bad thing.

There is nothing to stop British workers flying over to eastern Europe to work on the production lines folk like Ford pulled from factories in the UK.

why would British workers fly to these countries to earn less

I seem to remember the benefit discussion moving on to them only been allowed into the UK if they have a job. I'm not sure how that would work since I suspect most will be young men between the ages of 18-30 who enter the UK by clandestine.

Why would they need to be clandestine?..........as members of the EU,they can enter the UK whenever they like.

Archived