Quickie DIY question - sealant

I'm wanting to replace the sealant between the wall tiles and the base of my shower cubicle. However the gap to be sealed is very deep and I don't want to end up filling it with sealant.

Is there anything that I should use to fill the gap so that then I can put the sealant on top?

Don't use anything from Poundland like flexible filler ... it's cheap for a reason. Cheap fillers shrink when they set. Shower bases get wet.

Clean out the gap to get rid of loose bits, using a vacuum cleaner and paintbrush. Make sure everything's dry. Use masking tape to prevent getting silicone on the shower base and tiles, then use a good quality general use silicone to fill the gap without it protruding, the clear stuff's fine (tip ... use a damp finger to achieve a good smooth surface). Carefully remove masking tape. Let it set (24 hours).

If you're unsure about getting a good finish straight from the gun, put more masking tape down, where you want the finished bead to be ... tiles and shower base. Apply the decorative silicone and use a wet finger to get a good even finish ... feathered in to the masking tape. Remove the tape (carefully) and then very gently use a wet finger to feather the edges of the silicone flush with both surfaces (to get rid of the step formed by the thickness of the masking tape) This prevents shower water drying and forming a black line of dirt. Let it set (24 hours). Silicone 'skins' over in a couple of minutes, so you need to be quick. Job done! :)

Alternatively, you could use the quadrant ... personally, I don't like it, as I don't think it's as hygienic.

Don't use anything from Poundland like flexible filler ... it's cheap for a reason. Cheap fillers shrink when they set. Shower bases get wet.

The cheap dec filler is just suggested as one method for supporting the final layer of silicone sealant, but as you say a cheap silicone would do. Wetting the finger is also a good idea, but adding some liquid soap is better, but I find that a sealant finishing tool gives a more accurate finish than just using a finger.

Archived