Quickie DIY question - sealant

The cheap dec filler is just suggested as one method for supporting the final layer of silicone sealant, but as you say a cheap silicone would do. Wetting the finger is also a good idea, but adding some liquid soap is better, but I find that a sealant finishing tool gives a more accurate finish than just using a finger.

Depends what shape your finger is really ... plus the fact that you can actually feel what you're doing. Personally, I go for a finished result straight from the gun by shaping the nozzle. (I did say that my above method was for if you didn't feel comfortable about the straight from the gun method) No hard rules apply. :)

For the best result:

Pretty much follow Alcoblog's advice (make sure there are no gaps) but instead of the masking tape and wet finger, using a misting spray bottle ( like Flash etc filled with water), hold the spray about a foot away from the joint and lightly spray along the joint then run your finger or tool along the joint ( you know very well which tool.... stoppit !) ..... for a perfect result.

Use a quadrant to cover the gap and the use the sealant along both edges?

I agree this is best way, twice in 10 years we got leaks after just using filler, we got the quadrand no trouble since, but do get good silicon and dont scrimp, think its sold at shaws near b&q or a friend got ours from a plastics place on the corner of newhall rd. and brightside lane.we

Archived