BBC One Show - Covered modern day slavery of young 'professionals'.

Nobody is owed a living. If someone has a crap job, they simply need to get a better one. Why do they have a crap job in the first place i wonder. If they have a decent job but can't save, what are they spending their money on.

Property ownership is not a right, it's a privilege because the banks don't lend money to dropkicks.

Most likely spending it on stupidly inflated rents.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 16:55 ----------

erm S6 includes Hillsborough does it not. I have a very good idea of what interest rates will do. I keep my finger on the pulse. I'm not even worried in the slightest of interest rates reaching 8% especially post 2015. Once upon a time yes, you could afford to buy at 2.5 times income. Guess what, now you can't, what do you suggest young people do, moan and whinge and do nothing and watch the market rise further because that is what it's going to do longterm. £15k salary and a small deposit buys a house. Hosing in Sheffield is absolutely affordable for first time buyers. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

It also includes some less than desirable areas. Do you know Sheffield well?

As I said it is only affordable with serious compromises.

The properties you highlight are bottom end of the market. The rock bottom end of it. There are there for a reason. Nobody wants them. It's basic economics.

For what it's worth I think prices will adjust downwards in a serious correction, perhaps 2015-16. It's the logical outcome of inflating an asset bubble using sub-prime lending.

Most likely spending it on stupidly inflated rents.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 16:55 ----------

The properties you highlight are bottom end of the market. The rock bottom end of it. There are there for a reason. Nobody wants them. It's basic economics.

For what it's worth I think prices will adjust downwards in a serious correction, perhaps 2015-16. It's the logical outcome of inflating an asset bubble using sub-prime lending.

I don't want to particularly get into an argument but when we bought our first house over 30 years ago we had to make serious compromises and start at the bottom of the ladder..so did a lot of my friends...

Renting privately from a landlord or letting agent is a choice is it not. I chose to live with my parents until I bought my first house. Very sensible move on my part.

Not if you they took your advice and getting a better job meant moving to another city.

Like I said you're not in the real world. At the very least you have a very passive acceptance of a seriously broken and outrageously expensive housing system.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 17:04 ----------

I don't want to particularly get into an argument but when we bought our first house over 30 years ago we had to make serious compromises and start at the bottom of the ladder..so did a lot of my friends...

As did I.

Like I said my first house was a two bed terrace. I'd have liked better but it's what I could afford.

The difference now is that very average, basic house is totally out of reach for many. It wasn't then.

The compromises required now are much greater - that's the point.

I know Sheffield very well. The properties I highlight are perfect for a first time buyer. Remember, it's not 1922 anymore. Prices have risen, you have to get on the ladder somewhere. The £90k-£100k houses in Hillsborough are just an example, there are other ok areas too with very affordable housing. And yes, people do want them, thats why the houses in those areas sell quickly proven by sold price records.

Not if you they took your advice and getting a better job meant moving to another city.

Like I said you're not in the real world. At the very least you have a very passive acceptance of a seriously broken and outrageously expensive housing system.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 17:04 ----------

As did I.

Like I said my first house was a two bed terrace. I'd have liked better but it's what I could afford.

The difference now is that very average, basic house is totally out of reach for many. It wasn't then.

The compromises required now are much greater - that's the point.

Or compromises were ...no car..no holidays for about 5 years..a donated bed settee and a second hand wardrobe...no telly..a stereo I'd had since I was 16 ( I was 23 when we bought our house) and two deck chairs to sit on..we'd had a cooker as a wedding present and we bought a second hand fridge..the carpets were already in the house...if there weren't any then we'd have sanded and varnished the floor boards..oh and no kids for 8 years...we'd had to save with a building society for over a year and had to provide a 10% deposit...

Or compromises were ...no car..no holidays for about 5 years..a donated bed settee and a second hand wardrobe...no telly..a stereo I'd had since I was 16 ( I was 23 when we bought our house) and two deck chairs to sit on..we'd had a cooker as a wedding present and we bought a second hand fridge..the carpets were already in the house...if there weren't any then we'd have sanded and varnished the floor boards..oh and no kids for 8 years...we'd had to save with a building society for over a year and had to provide a 10% deposit...

Just read this over and over until you get it. But the young of today who choose not to go to University don't want to sacrifice like this. They want to get hammered in Malia and wake up at 25 with nothing.

Archived