BBC One Show - Covered modern day slavery of young 'professionals'.

Just read this over and over until you get it. But the young of today who choose not to go to University don't want to sacrifice like this. They want to get hammered in Malia and wake up at 25 with nothing.

Where is your evidence that people don't want to make sacrifices?

The issue is that the sacrifices are often too great. They're priced out. Your solution is to live like a hermit for years so they can afford the deposit on a overpriced crapheap?

The issue is that the sacrifices are often too great. They're priced out. Your solution is to live like a hermit for years so they can afford the deposit on a overpriced crapheap?

That's where people have to make a choice isn't it....?

And once again. 6 months out of Uni, you can can afford to buy a starter house as a first time buyer no problem at all. That is a fact. Don't like cheaper houses, save more deposit or increase your income or wait until you move further up the career ladder. It isn't MY solution, it is their ONLY option. Save a deposit, buy a house. Save a bigger deposit, buy a bigger house. First time starter homes in Sheffield are affordable. Moaning and whinging is not going to change the reality that house prices rise.

And once again. 6 months out of Uni, you can can afford to buy a starter house as a first time buyer no problem at all. That is a fact. Don't like cheaper houses, save more deposit or increase your income or wait until you move further up the career ladder. It isn't MY solution, it is their ONLY option. Save a deposit, buy a house. Save a bigger deposit, buy a bigger house. First time starter homes in Sheffield are affordable. Moaning and whinging is not going to change the reality that house prices rise.

6 months out of uni, £40k or more in debt and a £10k deposit magically appears from where exactly?

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 18:23 ----------

That's where people have to make a choice isn't it....?

And people are choosing not to buy bottom end of the market crapheaps at inflated prices.

The reality is that first time buyer options now are way worse than they were 20 years ago.

If you are under-paid and your skills are under-valued, take yourself and your skills somewhere where they attract the level of pay you think you deserve.

(Before you move, you might want to make sure that your future employer thinks as highly of your skills and qualifications as you do.)

Or set yourself up in business as self-employed and pay yourself whatever you like are worth.

6 months out of uni, £40k or more in debt and a £10k deposit magically appears from where exactly?

The reality is that first time buyer options now are way worse than they were 20 years ago.

You should read up on how University debt actually works and when the repayments begin. University debt isn't an issue in the slightest. As for a deposit, you work while you're doing A-levels and University. That's at least 5 solid years of saving money, Then a further 6 months after you finish University and get a job, and then you could take up to another year and a half whilst renting a room with friends if needs be. It's very simple but you have to put the effort in and make sacrifices. Nothing you can say will change the fact that those young people who put in the effort can be homeowners before they're 25, absolutely no problem at all.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 19:24 ----------

If you are under-paid and your skills are under-valued, take yourself and your skills somewhere where they attract the level of pay you think you deserve.

(Before you move, you might want to make sure that your future employer thinks as highly of your skills and qualifications as you do.)

Or set yourself up in business as self-employed and pay yourself whatever you like are worth.

Hang on Rupert, you're not suggesting people take some responsibility for their own lives are you? Certain people in this thread won't like that.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 19:30 ----------

Arr Sez.

No matter how much sense you make, and you do make a lot of sense you will find that some on here will twist every nuance to argue with you.

You are right, they are wrong. Bottom line.

I don't mind that to be honest Hillpig. They obviously live in the past because they feel house prices should be the same as yesteryear or low paying entry level jobs should afford a nice house in a good area. I feel the doom mongering by some in this thread could be quite damaging to young people reading this who don't read an alternative viewpoint, property ownership is possible but it will take some effort and sacrifice, like it always has.

You should read up on how University debt actually works and when the repayments begin. University debt isn't an issue in the slightest. As for a deposit, you work while you're doing A-levels and University. That's at least 5 solid years of saving money, Then a further 6 months after you finish University and get a job, and then you could take up to another year and a half whilst renting a room with friends if needs be. It's very simple but you have to put the effort in and make sacrifices. Nothing you can say will change the fact that those young people who put in the effort can be homeowners before they're 25, absolutely no problem at all.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 19:24 ----------

Hang on Rupert, you're not suggesting people take some responsibility for their own lives are you? Certain people in this thread won't like that.

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 19:30 ----------

I don't mind that to be honest Hillpig. They obviously live in the past because they feel house prices should be the same as yesteryear or low paying entry level jobs should afford a nice house in a good area. I feel the doom mongering by some in this thread could be quite damaging to young people reading this who don't read an alternative viewpoint, property ownership is possible but it will take some effort and sacrifice, like it always has.

If you are right, which you aren't, then where is the evidence of first time buyers in their 20s buying houses in the same volumes as they used to?

Why isn't it happening?

By the way, I'm not suggesting people shouldn't make sacrifices or compromises. I'm not even suggesting that people should expect the house of their dreams. I'm not suggesting starter homes should still be £35k.

I'm telling you that the whole market has changed. It's why home ownership is falling, average first time buyer age is rising, HMO is increasing etc... etc...

All the evidence is counter to your argument.

If you are right, which you aren't, then where is the evidence of first time buyers in their 20s buying houses in the same volumes as they used to?

Why isn't it happening?

By the way, I'm not suggesting people shouldn't make sacrifices or compromises. I'm not even suggesting that people should expect the house of their dreams. I'm not suggesting starter homes should still be £35k.

I'm telling you that the whole market has changed. It's why home ownership is falling, average first time buyer age is rising, HMO is increasing etc... etc...

All the evidence is counter to your argument.

I am right. I'm not talking about volumes of people or the masses. Of course the masses won't be able to afford housing until they're late 30's if ever because they didn't work hard, they didn't save, they didn't sacrifice they're not interested in moving up the career ladder so the masses moan and whinge instead. I'm stating that it doesn't have to be like the OP states. I'm saying that housing is VERY affordable. The reason why professional HMO is on the rise is because it makes sense to live with friends in shared accommodation whilst building up a deposit. It's a good idea. I'd probably do that myself it I was in their position. Over time life changes. Adapt or fail. there is no other option. How does moaning about prices rising help anyone? Do you think there's somehow going to be a revolution, an uprising of lazy young people grabbing land and property. Dream on. They'll be too busy getting wasted.

I am right. I'm not talking about volumes of people or the masses. Of course the masses won't be able to afford housing until they're late 30's if ever because they didn't work hard, they didn't save, they didn't sacrifice they're not interested in moving up the career ladder so the masses moan and whinge instead. I'm stating that it doesn't have to be like the OP states. I'm saying that housing is VERY affordable. The reason why professional HMO is on the rise is because it makes sense to live with friends in shared accommodation whilst building up a deposit. It's a good idea. I'd probably do that myself it I was in their position. Over time life changes. Adapt or fail. there is no other option. How does moaning about prices rising help anyone? Do you think there's somehow going to be a revolution, an uprising of lazy young people grabbing land and property. Dream on. They'll be too busy getting wasted.

You're not explaining why key indicators in the housing market are entirely counter to your argument that affordability has not changed. It has changed.

Why aren't people adapting?

Archived