Mosque services

I asked this on another thread but it was shut because of other posts on it before anyone could answer.

Just out of interest, what language are mosque services in? Are they in English, Arabic or the native language of the majority of attendees (e.g. Sylhet, Bengali).

Also what format do they take? Is it purely reading from the koran or is there a sermon too?

What are the sermons about? In Christian churches generally we will have a couple of readings from the bible or some prayers and then the sermon will expand on these and talk about how they can be applied in every day life.

Is it similar?

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 18:54 ----------

I'm just interested because I was having a conversation with someone the other day about how in Catholic churches up until the 60s services were in Latin and people couldn't understand what the services were about.

I know that a lot of kids learn to read the Koran in Arabic and I wondered if there was a similar thing where the services were in Arabic but the people listening to them couldn't understand what was being said.

And the sermon just purely out of interest, I just wondered if they had them and what they were about.

...I'm just interested because I was having a conversation with someone the other day about how in Catholic churches up until the 60s services were in Latin and people couldn't understand what the services were about...

Oh yes they could! - The left page of the missal was printed in English and the right page in Latin.

An early version of 'subtitles'. :hihi:

Oh yes they could! - The left page of the missal was printed in English and the right page in Latin.

An early version of 'subtitles'. :hihi:

Not where my family went to church, perhaps there was in England but not in Ireland.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 20:59 ----------

It will depend on the ethnic background of the attendees.

The best way to find out would be to pop into your local Mosque.

Can you just go to a service at a mosque though? If you are female is there a place you can sit?

Can you just go to a service at a mosque though? If you are female is there a place you can sit?

They're not intrigated as it would mean that when they knelt and bent over in prayers it would mean women's bums in men's faces.

And no I'm not stirring it, I was told it by a devout Muslim in Turkey.

The prayers are in Arabic. That's a given.

The sermon (Khutbah) depending on the mosque, can be delivered in Arabic, Urdu, English (and, depending on the country the mosque is in), it can often be delivered in the official language of the specific country,

The prayers are in Arabic. That's a given.

The sermon (Khutbah) depending on the mosque, can be delivered in Arabic, Urdu, English (and, depending on the country the mosque is in), it can often be delivered in the official language of the specific country,

This^^^^^^^

Archived