Webcam scam leads to blackmail and suicide

Whilst it is tragic that these kids do themselves in I have to wonder if they're not partly to blame.

They go on a website, they end up getting abuse. Now the sensible thing to do at that point is to report it, All social media sites have a point of contact to do this. Then if the abuse continues, just leave the site or dump the profile you're using in favour of another and be more discerning about who knows about it.

What's not sensible is to keep going on the site.

I know that if I put my finger in a flame I'm gonna get burnt. So guess what, I don't put my finger in a flame.

I'm not excusing the bullies etc but these kids are enabling them to do it.

That isn't the case in this instance. The boy was groomed and had no idea of who was grooming him. In essence he was striking up a relationship with someone equal to his age of the opposite sex. Hundreds if not thousands of adults, not just teens, probably put themselves into uncompromising positions on cam and all possible targets for blackmail.

Most grown adults given the threat would probably say " get on with your blackmailing, idiot" most youngsters are still at that age of shame and see no way out. Sadly in this case this youngster did see a way out.

Archived