TV Licence rip off-Anyone else ?

Just a quick glance over to the States shows exactly what a life without a BBC and a Murdoch control is like. Have you seen their media? Have you seen their television?

Yes. Far better than British TV has ever been. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, need I go on? And most of their top shows star British actors. Meanwhile what is the BBC's flagship show? Doctor Who?

Couldn't disagree more, in an age where private interests own and shape the news we see, the BBC is more relevant today than it's ever been.

The best value from any tax I've ever paid, long may it continue.

The BBC are supposed to be unbiased. They are not.

The BBC arent supposed to take funding in return for favorable news reporting. The take 10's of millions from the EU and mostly report very favorably.

The BBC is not what it once was. :(

I agree with the OP. A tv license should run for the full 12 months, any less and it should be a legal matter. It stinks.

I'm sick of paying for the offensive salaries of talentless self-obsessed Clarkson and his ilk. The BBC needs to stop insulting the majority of license payers and seriously buck its ideas up.

Don't pay it then

I think the whole BBC licence thing has got to go,people are made to be criminals for not paying the licence is just ridiculous,why cant they just advertise like the rest of them do,or you buy a subscription for it if you want it,it should not be a crime to not have a TV licence,a TV licence bloke knocked on our door once asking if I had a TV licence I said I don't have one and I only watch sky,he said you still have to have a licence even if you have sky,I said doesn't the licence fee just pay for BBC that I don't watch,I could not believe what he said,he said no you pay for the airwaves and the government own the airwaves,.I said do they own the air I breath as well do they want to tax me for that as well,can you imagine knocking on some good old southern boys door in America and asking them for $300 for a TV licence,people get pushed around to much in this country its about time people just said we have had enough of being ripped off...don't pay it don't be a lemming,they cant lock everybody up..

I think the whole BBC licence thing has got to go,people are made to be criminals for not paying the licence is just ridiculous,why cant they just advertise like the rest of them do,or you buy a subscription for it if you want it,it should not be a crime to not have a TV licence,a TV licence bloke knocked on our door once asking if I had a TV licence I said I don't have one and I only watch sky,he said you still have to have a licence even if you have sky,I said doesn't the licence fee just pay for BBC that I don't watch,I could not believe what he said,he said no you pay for the airwaves and the government own the airwaves,.I said do they own the air I breath as well do they want to tax me for that as well,can you imagine knocking on some good old southern boys door in America and asking them for $300 for a TV licence,people get pushed around to much in this country its about time people just said we have had enough of being ripped off...don't pay it don't be a lemming,they cant lock everybody up..

They dont have to knock on "some good old southern boys door" they just take it out of federal taxes or send out the begging bowl for viewer contributions.

Public broadcasting still exists over there. Its not all so "free" as people think.

I have said before quite clearly that Sky's output would be much much smaller if it wasnt for the contributions made by the BBC including a partnership agreement running 20 of sky's channels. Freeview would not have been set up without a big chunk of licence fee money granted from Digital UK so you were saying....

Its not so black and white.

Its the governement who made it law for everyone receiving live broadcasts to have a licence. Before that it was a radio licence.

In other countries the BBC equivilent DOES contain adverts but the public still has to pay out for a tv licence.

Putting adverts on the beeb would not magically make it go away. It pays for far far more than what we see on our screens and hear through the radio. Channel 4 takes a slice of it, as does Alba, NI, Gaelic, S4C and Digital UK.

Plus compared to other licence countries things could be far worse. I understand that the government in Sweden has just changed the Communications Act to state that ANY computer connected to the internet is now deemed as a TV and also has to reported to the authorities and be paid for under the tv licence.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 12:46 ----------

Yes. Far better than British TV has ever been. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, need I go on? And most of their top shows star British actors. Meanwhile what is the BBC's flagship show? Doctor Who?

Well according to last years figures about £216m worth of international sales. Top shows being Top Gear, Doctor Who, Frozen Planet, Torchwood, Spooks, Sherlock, Planet Earth and Natural World.

PS:

Im not saying that every single piece of american tv is trash but its interesting that many of those shows you have listed which are very good, are mostly from premium cable channels and not the big five networks.

Would you also like to take a look at British Originals that the US networks had a bash and recreating themselves. The Office and the Cowell lead reality trash seems to be exceptions of the few that became a major success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series

They dont have to knock on "some gold old southern boys door" they just take it out of federal taxes or send out the begging bowl for viewer contributions.

Public broadcasting still exists over there. Its not all so "free" as people think.

I have said before quite clearly that Sky's output would be much much smaller if it wasnt for the contributions made by the BBC including a partnership agreement running 20 of sky's channels. Freeview would not have been set up without a big chunk of licence fee money granted from Digital UK so you were saying....

Its not so black and white.

Its the governement who made it law for everyone receiving live broadcasts to have a licence. Before that it was a radio licence.

In other countries the BBC equivilent DOES contain adverts but the public still has to pay out for a tv licence.

Putting adverts on the beeb would not magically make it go away. It pays for far far more than what we see on our screens and hear through the radio. Channel 4 takes a slice of it, as does Alba, NI, Gaelic, S4C and Digital UK.

Plus compared to other licence countries things could be far worse. I understand that the government in Sweden has just changed the Communications Act to state that ANY computer connected to the internet is now deemed as a TV and also has to reported to the authorities and be paid for under the tv licence.

I still think it is another tax,there should be an op out system or a subscription system something different to criminalizing people who don't want to pay or watch BBC stuff,BBC sells programs to sky and the other satellite channels most of it archive stuff that we have seen a million times before,a few adverts would cover the cost of the licence.if not they need a re-shake to make them into a viable business that does not hold the public to ransom for its survival .

I still think it is another tax,there should be an op out system

There is - choosing not to watch live broadcast television.

Nobody in either the broadcast, marketing or political arenas wants an advertising funded BBC because the upheaval could cause the disruption and even destruction of most of the stakeholders.

The alternatives spoken about are either changing the TV Licence to general taxation, or scrapping the BBC as it stands and reforming it as a publicly funded broadcaster which only produces programming that no commercial operators are interested in.

Have to say my argument on the licence is whether or not I want to afford it or not. I know, the price per day works out to mere pence but it's a sizeable chunk to lash out in one go when chunks of money are in short supply.

You can pay monthly...

Archived