Need someone who knows about WW2 Military Uniforms

Hello I have a old picture of my Grandad on his wedding day wearing his Army Uniform from WW2 sadly I never got to see him and my Dad doesn't no much.

I was wondering if anyone who knows about WW2 or the Military could you tell me what his role/Job was in the army the picture has 3 or 4 arrows pointing down on his arm

Click on the link to see the picture or copy and paste it

http://postimg.org/image/eqjazosd7/

Thanks Jack!

It is a Sergeant’s battle dress, which is a Non-commissioned Officer (NCO) responsible for nine other men in his rifle section. There was usually one sub machine gunner (Sten) and this was quite often the Sergeant who needed to be mobile, one light machine gunner (Bren) and assistant (perhaps armed with rifle in addition), the rest were rifles (7 Lee Enfields - plus the assistant from Bren crew ( 8 )). Sometimes the weapons of a rifle section would vary a little but not very often e.g. the Sten would be swapped for a M1A1 Tommy gun.

Three stripes and a crown indicates staff sergeant the uniform looks like either a Reme or Rct uniform.

RCT wasn't formed until later(1960s I think) and its predecessor was the RASC.

---------- Post added 18-08-2013 at 08:50 ----------

It is a Sergeant’s battle dress, which is a Non-commissioned Officer (NCO) responsible for nine other men in his rifle section. There was usually one sub machine gunner (Sten) and this was quite often the Sergeant who needed to be mobile, one light machine gunner (Bren) and assistant (perhaps armed with rifle in addition), the rest were rifles (7 Lee Enfields - plus the assistant from Bren crew ( 8 )). Sometimes the weapons of a rifle section would vary a little but not very often e.g. the Sten would be swapped for a M1A1 Tommy gun.

Not necessarily an infantryman.

There are staff sergeants in corps.

Hello I have a old picture of my Grandad on his wedding day wearing his Army Uniform from WW2 sadly I never got to see him and my Dad doesn't no much.

I was wondering if anyone who knows about WW2 or the Military could you tell me what his role/Job was in the army the picture has 3 or 4 arrows pointing down on his arm

Click on the link to see the picture or copy and paste it

http://postimg.org/image/eqjazosd7/

Thanks Jack!

Have you thought of obtaining your grandparents' marriage certificate for clues?

Archived