Strangest experience today

17-36 hrs train from Sheffield to Huddersfield today. As train was setting off from Midland station a man aged mid 30s stood up at the front of the carriage holding a board full of newspaper cuttings. Told passengers he was a tourrettes sufferer and that he was campaigning for charity. He had the strangest mannerisms and referred to people taking the "pi**" out of him. He wore a jacket with loads of writing on the back advertising his campaign. Got off at Chapeltown. Walked down the carriage rattling a tin. If he was genuine it was very brave of him, if it was a pi**take then it was very ingenious. I gave him 50p for his bravery/audacity.

Anyone else come across him ?

Maybe not as strange as the experience I once had on the Huddersfield to Sheffield train when the woman sitting opposite me opened her bag and out popped a rather large snake. I almost got Tourettes there and then, I tell you.

Lol I chuckled at that......sorry

I've encountered the same chap you described, I think. He came into a pub near Sheffield Hallam University, collecting for Tourette's sufferers, with details of an article in The Star about him. I too thought it was a bit odd, but gave him some change. Was it this chap? http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/health/local-health/people-make-fun-of-me-every-day-of-my-life-i-ve-had-enough-1-4336410

I've seen him before at The Graduate in Sheffield City Centre.

He seemed like a nice genuine chap who was getting dismayed at people not understanding his condition. He seemed grateful that I gave him what change I had. :)

Edit: Just realised he was the guy that got attacked with a hammer :o hope he's recovered well. There are some evil people in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23284314

I've seen him before at The Graduate in Sheffield City Centre.

He seemed like a nice genuine chap who was getting dismayed at people not understanding his condition. He seemed grateful that I gave him what change I had. :)

Edit: Just realised he was the guy that got attacked with a hammer :o hope he's recovered well. There are some evil people in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23284314

A mate of mine spoke to this lad not long after that attack, she said his injuries were terrible and he was totally in a state of shock about it all. I do hope they catch the bloke who did it though because one of the lads who is looking for them is going to be a real problem for them once they are identified :hihi:

I once saw a guy at the train station with an old can who said he needed train fare to get to Liverpool to visit his mum who was in hospital, it was strange because I saw him the week after and it turns out his DAD had ended up in hospital as well in Birmingham and he needed a bit of cash to go and see him too.

He must have been really cold too because his hands were shaking even though it was a hot day, and his pupils were really dilated even though it was very sunny. Poor guy.

Archived