Ideas on What to make out my wood?

Hi iv took down fake beams in my kitchen ages ago, really good wood.

I advertised on here for free but noone came, so doing up my back and wood still just lying there and is a shame to chop up or get rid without me trying to do something with it.

I don't need a bench, hut, hutch, fence or gate it's got varnish on so next door doesn't want for wood burner.

Any ideas would be great was thinking some cowboy style shutter for windows instead of blinds but would need to slice thinner, not sure how to go about that I'd need a special machine?

Cheers

The wildlife.....especially hedgehogs would really appreciate a nice new winter hibernation place.

You could split the beams with an axe and then cut them into sections which could be randomly laid to form a log pile with an entry point. Place a load of twigs on top and put it in a quiet corner of your garden and then hopefully you will be blessed with a hedgehog choosing to hibernate there.

I think these sort of random looking woodpiles look really good in a garden as well as providing our wildlife with a haven. We had to take a willow tree down 3 years ago. We still have the big trunk on the lawn and it has just blended in and looks good where it is. We also laid down a load of the branches for the wildlife and created a "pile". I don't know if any of our creatures used it but it might take a while before they trust the spot anyhow but we don't plan on moving it.

Mr Mole has been busy on our lawn recently but it was worthwhile to spot a lovely peacock butterfly sunning itself on the mole hill as I hung the washing out.

Just an idea for you anyhow.

You could make a fire surround with them. The rawness of the wood can look quite effective.

Only if you will not use that fire. Otherwise a real wooden fire surround on a functional fire is playing irresponsible medieval games.

Any responsible gasfitter will cap of your fire if you use real wood there.

Do you have access to a lathe? I would imagine that the really decent weathered timber would turn really well into all sorts of items, from bowls to newel posts and bannisters (although you'd have to have a session on a bench saw to cut them up effectively first).

Archived