Continuing Care for the elderly

It' a very long and tedious road you have to travel to have a continuing care assessment.

My Mum had an assessment in March and was put forwards for the next level of assessment and we have heard nothing since.

I believe that for them to even do a basic first assessment you have to fight their corner - they won't assess anyone who is elderly and their care needs are because they are old. My Mum has Alzheimers Disease which is now well progressed and she needs 24 hour care due to the disease process but is not guaranteed financial assistance with her care.

Her savings are almost gone now and the house has been sold. Her care home fees are over £470 a month at the moment but are likely to go up soon.

Alfer - please do try as you will get nowhere by not doing so. It will be challenging but your father has a recognised medical condition and may actually need that nursing input. As I mentioned, the finance is secondary to your father getting the care he needs. Money is tight for all the services and they will always assess people for residential/social care if possible. It may be their default position. I do not know who it is that does the assessment these days but one of them should be medically qualified IMO (that used to be the case).

The reason why anyone who lands on these shores can access care entirely free but our old folk who have lived and worked here all their lives have to pay for it is because they are easy targets - they are not going anywhere and can't speak up for themselves. It really saddens me to see the situation that our old people are ending up in. :cry:

Thank you for your replies . Yes it is very sad seeing him so helpless and he cant even concerntrate to read or write which has always been his refuge. I am not sure I have it in me however to make the requisite effort on my his behalf, especially as he said I shouldnt bother, but that of course is his illness speaking.

I will phone PDS now and keep posted

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 10:44 ----------

Oh wow thank you for spurring me on - PDS Sheffield has an advisor specifically for this kind of issue / problem . Fingers crossed.

Archived