Names of bygone beers

"...not much matches Mansfield..."

Anyone remember Mansfield bitter? Crookes club used to serve it I think? I am sure it was like Whitbread Trophy Bitter.

I also remember Home Ales (which I think was from Nottingham and had a picture of Robin Hood) and Kimberley Ales, from the same area.

"...not much matches Mansfield..."

Anyone remember Mansfield bitter? Crookes club used to serve it I think? I am sure it was like Whitbread Trophy Bitter.

I also remember Home Ales (which I think was from Nottingham and had a picture of Robin Hood) and Kimberley Ales, from the same area.

Used to love a nice pint of Mansfield Grappler, the Golden Plover at Hackenthorpe was a Mansfield house years ago. In many ways it was a bit like Wards, not in taste but needed a landlord that looked after it. Can you remember what they used to serve in the Tudor room, the old Social Club at side of pavilion, I'm sure I remember McKewans Scotch.

Long Life small cans. of beer, the first ever can in the UK (I think).each case had individual openers as the ringpull hadn't been invented. also the 7 pint party can which was produced on Merseyside and as the name suggests was bought by partygoers.

Forest Brown bottles

Whitbread pint pale ale with a screwtop, mainly sold in Scotland.

Oatmeal stout.

Long Life small cans. of beer, the first ever can in the UK (I think).each case had individual openers as the ringpull hadn't been invented. also the 7 pint party can which was produced on Merseyside and as the name suggests was bought by partygoers.

Forest Brown bottles

Whitbread pint pale ale with a screwtop, mainly sold in Scotland.

Oatmeal stout.

Oh yes the old party 7 mega cans, if you didn't have a proper opener a hammer and screwdriver would do it, but you got soaked :hihi:

Long Life small cans. of beer, the first ever can in the UK (I think)...
Yes - Long Life was the first beer in cans that I was aware of, but apparently there were some earlier canned beers. They were in a "Brasso tin" type of can with a conical top such as this Welsh brew of 1931.
....each case had individual openers as the ringpull hadn't been invented...
I still have mine somewhere; it looks like this - one end was used to open cans and the other end could be used for bottles.

What about Whitbread Gold Label Lager ?, does anyone remember that.

Whitbread pubs did a Gold Label lager, on draft (not barley wine), it was :gag:

Yes JR, It was rhubarb ...

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 18:23 ----------

Another lager that was once sold in WARDS pubs,

Double Century, I only saw it and drank it in the Grand Hotel. It was a dark ale in a bottle with posh silver paper around the neck.

The mention of a dark mild reminded me of a pint I had in Burton Derbyshire one time. I was in a pub just outside the railway station so it could possibly have been the 'Railway/Station Hotel. I've never tasted mild like it, brilliant!

Archived