Names of bygone beers

Used to love a nice pint of Mansfield Grappler, the Golden Plover at Hackenthorpe was a Mansfield house years ago. In many ways it was a bit like Wards, not in taste but needed a landlord that looked after it. Can you remember what they used to serve in the Tudor room, the old Social Club at side of pavilion, I'm sure I remember McKewans Scotch.

I think they also sold Websters Green Label, or is that a beer I dreampt up.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 11:34 ----------

It's all about taste Bypass.

It's often what your local serves and what you get used to drinking.

Alot of beer drinkers can be quite snobby and dismissive of lager drinkers.

I used to be a beer drinker but was quite ill for a while and couldn't drink at all.

When I went back I'd lost the taste and wanted something a bit sharper.

I've had some b awful lagers over the years but draught Budweiser and Peroni can be really nice if it's kept properly and nicely chilled.

I'd never touch 'wifebeater' with a barge pole but some young uns think it's great.

Yep it's all about taste

Yes Dreb I agree, I like Peroni funnily enough I like Kronenberg 1664, the Carlton at the Cliffe used to have a German beer on Erdinger it was pure nectar in a glass.

It's funny you say you went off beer I had a post operative infection when I had open heart surgery, I nearly popped my clogs it was that bad. The strange thing was I lost the taste for all beers, Guinness & strangest of all coffee. I took about 4 years to drink a beer again and only do it moderately now, not touched Guinness or coffee since that day.

Oh I tell a lie I was accidentally made a coffee once and I was physically sick after tasting it, strange how taste buds change. I can also say that Samuel Smiths blows John Smiths out of the water.

I think they also sold Websters Green Label, or is that a beer I dreampt up...
No, here it is - not to be confused with Red Label Bass or White Shield Worthington, both of which were bottle-conditioned beers of happy memory..:) If you ordered either of these in a pub, a well-trained barman/barmaid would ask whether or not you wanted the yeast "lees" that settled to the bottom of the bottle - if not, it would be carefully poured.

No, here it is - not to be confused with Red Label Bass or White Shield Worthington, both of which were bottle-conditioned beers of happy memory..:) If you ordered either of these in a pub, a well-trained barman/barmaid would ask whether or not you wanted the yeast "lees" that settled to the bottom of the bottle - if not, it would be carefully poured.

Hi Hiilsbro thought I hadn't I have had this jingle in my head since yesterday also.

Websters Green Labels now on draught, the bestest beer for drinking, drinking; D R I N K I N G drinking

"...not much matches Mansfield..."

Anyone remember Mansfield bitter? Crookes club used to serve it I think? I am sure it was like Whitbread Trophy Bitter.

I also remember Home Ales (which I think was from Nottingham and had a picture of Robin Hood) and Kimberley Ales, from the same area.

Shipstones AKA (honest p#ss) stopped brewing in Nottingham in 1991, has restarted up and is about to be on sale again soon. :gag:

Talking about jingles and adverts a punk poet (Seething Swells) in the early eighties wrote a poem about Tetley's, it was called Godzilla vs the Tetley bittermen, I can only remember a few lines it went something like this, Joshua, Joshua, as sweet as orange squashua, drink it up and get em in, only women drink lager, only puffs drink gin.

Archived