Names of bygone beers

"...not much matches Mansfield..."

Anyone remember Mansfield bitter? Crookes club used to serve it I think? I am sure it was like Whitbread Trophy Bitter.

I also remember Home Ales (which I think was from Nottingham and had a picture of Robin Hood) and Kimberley Ales, from the same area.

Remember having a pint of Home Ales in Mablethorpe when I was about 16,it was awful and could have put me off beer for life,luckily it didn't.

Talking about jingles and adverts a punk poet (Seething Swells) in the early eighties wrote a poem about Tetley's, it was called Godzilla vs the Tetley bittermen, I can only remember a few lines it went something like this, Joshua, Joshua, as sweet as orange squashua, drink it up and get em in, only women drink lager, only puffs drink gin.

Don't remember that rhyme but it's flipping funny:hihi::hihi:

Iangerbrew" lager, they used to sell it in Shipstones pubs,the bar pump logo had a little teutonic man in a glass box he was dressed in leather umpah trousers with a foaming pint in his hand and a big white beard. I bet they are real collectors items now those bar pump logo..

Remember walking through Tadcaster in 1981. Sun out, blue skies and as I walked I was breathing in brewing fumes from John Smiths on one side of the road and Sam Smiths from the other. It was a delightful pong. Then I found a pub, not far from the town centre and had a pint of Sam Smiths which was spot on. Almost as good as Wards.

No, here it is - not to be confused with Red Label Bass or White Shield Worthington, both of which were bottle-conditioned beers of happy memory..:) If you ordered either of these in a pub, a well-trained barman/barmaid would ask whether or not you wanted the yeast "lees" that settled to the bottom of the bottle - if not, it would be carefully poured.

Ah! Red Bass - drank this for years. Happy memories indeed. There was also the Blue Bass a conventional pale ale.

No, here it is - not to be confused with Red Label Bass or White Shield Worthington, both of which were bottle-conditioned beers of happy memory..:) If you ordered either of these in a pub, a well-trained barman/barmaid would ask whether or not you wanted the yeast "lees" that settled to the bottom of the bottle - if not, it would be carefully poured.

White Shield is apparently still available although I haven't seen it in years. Perhaps it has been revived.

Any one remember Whitbreads Gauntlet beer back in the early 70's. the hand pump was a silver gauntlet. Also was it Mackeson that had the catch phase "looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good". Our old teacher called his cane Double Diamond because it worked wonders!

I started drinking bitter in 1986 (The York Hotel, Broomhill). Sheffield had a great choice of real ales. Incredibly, my favourites were John Smith and Whitbread Trophy Best (Rising Sun, Nethergreen and Shiny Sheff respectively). But then, during a promotion in early 1989, I discovered John Smith Magnet. My life was never the same again.

I finally tried Ward's bitter at Christmas 1987 (The Hallamshire, Commonside). After three pints (at lunch time) I realised what an absolute belter of a beer it was.

I see someone has mentioned Cameron's on here. I believe Cameron Strongarm is still available, particularly in North Yorkshire. That's a really rugged beer. I recall many a night in Whitby throwing pint after pint down my neck! It was a real headache hangover in the morning.

As for Magnet, incredibly, it is no longer available in cask form.

Archived