Names of bygone beers

Whitbread Trophy

Whitbread Tankard

Younger's Tartan Bitter ....... seem to remember they sold it in the Claymore

Castle Eden

Webster's Pennine Bitter....as advertised by Fred Truman...takes a swig and breathes out fire.

Sold in most Sheffield night clubs in the late 70's (The Limit, Top Rank, Samantha's from memory), absolutely dreadful...........

Hammonds ales,I think this was a Sheffield brewery.

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 12:54 ----------

Wasn`t that called I.P.A.(India pale ale)? Made specially for the ex-pats in India.

Hammonds was a West Yorkshire brewery they bought Bentleys brewery which was on Canklow Road Rotherham and in turn got bought out by Bass.

It was Tennants Queen . Sold in all Tennants houses a great pint proper beer. Same as Stones Magnet but not as strong as Magnet .

I think Queens was introduced for the Coronation, if not that, some other Royal occasion.

Wasn't Magnet Ales John Smiths?

OBJ from Duttons of Blackburn brings back memories, I worked there in the late 1960s until 1972 when the last bottling of this great beer took place. I was supervisor on duty when we bottled the last ever brew. I still have bottles from the last production.

The old Managing Director had a Rolls Royce with number plate OBJ 1.

The strength of this product was higher than the norm and thats why it wasn't produced in draught.

Archived