Names of bygone beers

I think it is still brewed at the Bass museum in Burton on Trent.

Bass Red Label also still around I think, only a few landlords knew how to pour it properly, Fred Lee, Dog and Partridge, Wellington, Brightside, and Darnall, Hearts Of Oak Dronfield was an expert.

Talking about jingles and adverts a punk poet (Seething Swells) in the early eighties wrote a poem about Tetley's, it was called Godzilla vs the Tetley bittermen, I can only remember a few lines it went something like this, Joshua, Joshua, as sweet as orange squashua, drink it up and get em in, only women drink lager, only puffs drink gin.

Steven "Seething" Wells (or Swells as he became known) was one of the post John Cooper Clarke "punk poets" before becoming a regular writer for the NME. I saw him on a poets night at The Limit also featuring Joolz, Little Brother & our own Mark Miwurdz. Highlight of the night for me was the aforementioned Godzilla vs. the Tetley Bittermen. The only bit of the lyrics I remember are the final payoff lines, paraphrasing the Tetley's TV advertising strapline at the time; "We're the Tetley Bittermen hear our call, Come & **** you're life up against the wall." It was available on the "Rough, Raw And Ranting" LP recorded with Atilla the Stockbroker. (If anyone has a copy please get in touch, also any of Mark Miwurdz stuff which appeared on a few locally recorded cassettes). Sadly Swlls died of cancer in 2009. RIP

Used to drink Theakstones when i visited the inlaws in York (Beachwood Hotel) very good beer. Only problem never allowed to pay ,the inlaws were all Scots whey hay(thats the way to do it):hihi:

The Spread Eagle on Walmgate used to serve an absolute belter of a pint of Theakston Old Peculier. It was a much better and I believe, stronger drink 25 years ago.

York was - and indeed remains - a great place for real ales. The Corner Pin off Rougier Street used to have a wonderful pint of John Smith and best of all, Thomas's on Museum Street served John Smith Magnet the taste of which, I don't think has been bettered anywhere else (although The Green Man pub on the A64, now an Indian restaurant ran a mighty close second).

Finally, the Trafalgar Bay on Nunnery Lane used to serve a really good pint of Samuel Smith OBB. Then you could get Ward's in The Blue Bell.... (I could go on, obviously:hihi:).

Steven "Seething" Wells (or Swells as he became known) was one of the post John Cooper Clarke "punk poets" before becoming a regular writer for the NME. I saw him on a poets night at The Limit also featuring Joolz, Little Brother & our own Mark Miwurdz. Highlight of the night for me was the aforementioned Godzilla vs. the Tetley Bittermen. The only bit of the lyrics I remember are the final payoff lines, paraphrasing the Tetley's TV advertising strapline at the time; "We're the Tetley Bittermen hear our call, Come & **** you're life up against the wall." It was available on the "Rough, Raw And Ranting" LP recorded with Atilla the Stockbroker. (If anyone has a copy please get in touch, also any of Mark Miwurdz stuff which appeared on a few locally recorded cassettes). Sadly Swlls died of cancer in 2009. RIP

Ive got it m8. Its a 7" EP though not an LP.

Can anyone name any beer, draft or bottle that has stopped being produced ie Double Diamond

What about 'Roger and out', brewed under the Frog +Parrot? tasted grim, was about 13% ABV, and you got certificates with each 1/3 pint drunk, which were printed increasingly blurred. Nasty stuff, i had to hold my nose to drink it but got my 3 certificates!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived