Ageing Wines & Spirits

Not being a major wine drinker, I cannot call myself an expert but I do like the odd tipple with a nice meal.

I have always wondered about ageing and cellars.

Going on history or well off people, they like to store wines and prefer aged wines with character.

After having a range of red and white wines, I always prefer sweet fruity wines as they go with most foods.

Also, I have stored wines in my cupboard for months even years but when I go to open them, it tends to go flat and lose all its flavour, this is most prominent with cider like drinks.

We have all heard about wines being 50-100 years old and taste even better with time.

But is there specific wines that are designed to age well as a posed to other wines that go off after a while.

Also, a good tip for anyone, when storing bottles, never store them sideways like in a cellar because the cork will have contact with the wine and produce nasty sediment and will impair the quality over time, always store upright so the wine has no contact with the cork or lid, this will also help the angel share as well :rolleyes:

Not being a major wine drinker, I cannot call myself an expert but I do like the odd tipple with a nice meal.

Going on history or well off people, they like to store wines and prefer aged wines with character.

After having a range of red and white wines, I always prefer sweet fruity wines as they go with most foods.

Also, I have stored wines in my cupboard for months even years but when I go to open them, it tends to go flat and lose all its flavour, this is most prominent with cider like drinks.

We have all heard about wines being 50-100 years old and taste even better with time.

But is there specific wines that are designed to age well as a posed to other wines that go off after a while.

Also, a good tip for anyone, when storing bottles, never store them sideways like in a cellar because the cork will have contact with the wine and produce nasty sediment and will impair the quality over time, always store upright so the wine has no contact with the cork or lid, this will also help the angel share as well :rolleyes:

Sorry Bedrock but I don't think the advice you're giving is correct.

If you are planning on keeping wine for a reasonable period of time (ie, not drinking it within the next few weeks) it should always be on its side as this will help keep the cork in constant contact with the wine. This will keep the cork moist, which should keep the cork from shrinking and allowing the enemy of wine, oxygen, to seep into the bottle. When oxygen comes into contact with wine the result is not good - the wine starts to oxidize (think brown apple) and the aromas, flavors and color all begin to spoil. Obviously wine with the increasingly common screw caps don't necessarily need to be stored sideways either.

Wine should also be stored in the dark and at a constant temperature of approx 12'C.

What he says ^^^^^^^^^^

Most supermarket wine isn't for keeping - the vast majority is best drunk young apart from top reds (eg Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rioja at over £20 a bottle) and the "liquorice" sweet whites like top Sauternes.

Oh dear.:loopy:

Were you thinking of buying wine as an investment, Bedrock? You really need to know your stuff and most supermarket wine isn't going to improve by keeping - it will deteriorate if anything. The sweet fruity wines you prefer tend to be relatively young anyway. Do as I do, just drink the stuff!

Top tip: even the cheapest red plonk can be greatly improved by decanting into a jug or carafe, about half an hour before drinking.

Archived