The East Midlands

Officially this starts when you enter Derbyshire, but do you consider places like Dronfield, Eckington, Killamarsh, and Chesterfield part of the Midlands or the North?

If not, where do you consider the Midlands starting?

Personally I think geographically it's anywhere south of Alfreton.

I live in Chesterfield and consider it to be part of the Midlands... just. It's right on the border between the midlands and the north.

Although directly west of you is Macclesfield, Northwich, and Chester, all in Cheshire, so all in the North.

It's strange that some places in the East Midlands are more northerly than parts of the North West. Doesn't make sense really.

Not really, borders don't have to be straight. Some parts of Scotland are further south than parts of England. The border crossing from Detroit to Windsor in Canada is from north to south.

True but you would expect somewhere in Central England to be further south than somewhere in Northern England, hence our regions in England being more compass references than named regions (Yorkshire aside), i.e South East, North West, East Midlands.

Archived