The East Midlands

I've never heard of Cheshire being considered in the Midlands.

it depends on whether you are looking at the middle from north to south or east to west - it is arguably in the middle between the north and south as most of it is no further north than derbyshire (at least on my map), but obviously not between east & west

Id always associated Cheshire with North Wales Manchester & Merseyside , forgetting that a chunk of Cheshire was cut off from the rest of the County when Greater Manchester was formed.

Tintwistle / Crowden and Woodhead were all put into the Derbyshire High peak in 1974 and presumably are now the most north westerly part of what is called the East Midlands.

Hasn't Sheffield itself been moving south slowly? The Sheaf river was the ancient border between Mercia in the Midlands and Hallam in Northumbria.

Norton, Greenhill, Norton Lees, Mosborough, Totley and Dore were all originally in Derbyshire and are now in Yorkshire. Dronfield managed to stay in Derbyshire

Geographically it might not make total sense given how the borders have moved but the official definition is still Derbyshire, Notts, Leicestershire, Rutland, Northants, and Lincs. You can probably lump Peterborough in as well as traditionally it was part of Northants, not Cambridgeshire

I was born in Buxton and consider myself a Midlander

But Macclesfield, directly west of you is Northern. Anywhere south of Newhaven on the A515 can claim Midland status in my view, but Buxton is within the 'sphere of influence' of Greater Manchester due to its close proximity. Buxton's local TV is also provided by ITV Granada and BBC North West.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 15:16 ----------

Tintwistle / Crowden and Woodhead were all put into the Derbyshire High peak in 1974 and presumably are now the most north westerly part of what is called the East Midlands.

East Midlands in government administrative purposes, yes. In geographically, definitely not.

Not really, borders don't have to be straight. Some parts of Scotland are further south than parts of England. The border crossing from Detroit to Windsor in Canada is from north to south.
Almost every crossing between Canada and the US is from north to south, except from Maine to New Brunswick which are west to east.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 12:26 ----------

Sheffield and Chesterfield are really in the midlands but people call it the North because it is industrialised and around other industrialised cities
I think the simplest way is to consider both cities as being in the North Midlands.

Archived