Can the council sell public roads to private companies?

Subject line says it all. Are the council legally able to sell off public roads in Sheffield to private companies?

The Government sell off public companies(BT and Royal Mail ect) and buildings, so I dont see why roads would be any different.

Welcome to the corporate future where if you cannot pay then you go without. The corporate world is only interested in profit, and even the money it apparently gives away is for publicity, thus propaganda, thus adding to profit and prestige.

Welcome to the world where the slave gets a wage, which just covers its existence. A place where the future for most is blight.

Doesn't really answer my question!

I ask, because I parked somewhere near town today, on a road that used to be public (maybe 2 or 3 years ago), and is now apparently private, or so I was informed by the indignant resident who was agitated at the fact of my parked car on 'private property'.

Well, that's one perspective, another perspective, is that it's 'stolen property', stolen from the public, and this resident is complicit in the theft of public property...

Doesn't really answer my question!

I ask, because I parked somewhere near town today, on a road that used to be public (maybe 2 or 3 years ago), and is now apparently private, or so I was informed by the indignant resident who was agitated at the fact of my parked car on 'private property'.

Well, that's one perspective, another perspective, is that it's 'stolen property', stolen from the public, and this resident is complicit in the theft of public property...

How do you know that the road was public 2 or 3 years ago? (The fact that people treated it as a public highway doesn't mean that it was.)

For how long have the public used that road?

(Is there evidence that they have used it long enough for it to be considered a 'public right of way'?)

No point in getting worked up until you know the truth.

What road/part of road was this?

Yep, no point getting worked up, period!

I think it's called south street. It runs down the side of park-hill flats (between the flats and park sq. roundabout).

Archived