Motor insurance no claims

Ive been with my insurance company quite a few years now and have had to claim for a new windscreen which states doesnt effect my no claims bonus ..... I have also claimed when someone bumped into me and sped off so couldnt get their details

Today I have received a letter saying my insurance is going up by £600.OO!!

reason being they say I have lost my no claims bonus does anyone on here understand how this can happen as Ive only claimed once ! the windscreen shouldnt count

Ive been with my insurance company quite a few years now and have had to claim for a new windscreen which states doesnt effect my no claims bonus ..... I have also claimed when someone bumped into me and sped off so couldnt get their details

reason being they say I have lost my no claims bonus does anyone on here understand how this can happen as Ive only claimed once ! the windscreen shouldnt count

My bold above.

You've claimed. You therefore do not have a "no claim" discount - the clue is in the name...

Even though they say windscreen won't affect your no claims, it actually does.

How many years no claims were you up to?

And why didn't you protect them if over a few years?

here's a nice link for you to read

I have over 9 years no claims, even though had accident in 2011 all because I protected it. It don't really benefit me much as if move insurer it may reduce to 5 years as that is usually the maximum for no claims

I have over 9 years no claims, even though had accident in 2011 all because I protected it. It don't really benefit me much as if move insurer it may reduce to 5 years as that is usually the maximum for no claims

The windscreen wouldn't have caused the increase, it will be the claim against an uninsured/hit and run driver.

I have also claimed when someone bumped into me and sped off so couldnt get their details

That's where things went wrong. You shouldn't have claimed on this, but tried to get money from the pot that all insurers pay into to cover damage by uninsured drivers.

Direct Line push this a lot, and say you won't lose your no-claims when hit by an uninsured driver. But nobody should.

i know, it stings when the (expletive deleted) who smashes into you does one and gets away scot-free, and we pick up the bill.

maybe we're the idiots for shelling out our hard-earned for insurance, worthless uninsured driver included, when it's cheaper to pay the fine and repair the bumper, again...

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 13:12 ----------

That's where things went wrong. You shouldn't have claimed on this, but tried to get money from the pot that all insurers pay into to cover damage by uninsured drivers.

Direct Line push this a lot, and say you won't lose your no-claims when hit by an uninsured driver. But nobody should.

but they don't include 'unidentified' within their definition of 'uninsured'.

Where does the money that the insurers pay into the uninsured motorist's pot come from?

Dare I suggest it comes from the policyholders?

My insurance company offers me uninsured motorist cover. It doesn't cost very much - but it's not free. Why should it be?

If you move to another insurer you won't get any 'no claims' discount never mind five years. You have had an accident within the last 5 years (which you will have to advise the new insurer of) and your protected no claims only lasts whilst you are with your current insurer.

Archived