"Disruptive Children and their inconsiderate parents not welcome"

Outside a cafe in Porlock there's a sign saying "Disruptive children and their inconsiderate parents are not welcome here". I can see where they're coming from, I've had a few meals spoilt by unruly kids, but even though we weren't accompanied by children it put us off going in there as it seemed a bit officious. Would a place like this appeal to you or not?

The manager/owner of the café is perfectly entitled to refuse to serve anybody. (Providing, of course the 'anybody' doesn't happen to have skin which is 'washed-out white', has no obvious physical disability or isn't holding the hand of a friend of the same sex.)

If I was running a business which made money from what it served to customers, I would be more interested in attracting - and catering for - customers than I would be in 'laying down the law' about who I was prepared to serve.

If I was the parent of a small child (and I haven't been that for some years) then - even if my child was perfectly behaved - I would walk on by and find somewhere which wanted my custom.

I once went (with a group of my friends) into a village pub and was told by the Landlord: "We don't serve your kind here!"

Not to be outdone, I asked: "Which kind is that? Schoolteachers (1)? Lawyers (2)? Judges (2)? or Journalists? (1)?"

He didn't have an answer. We walked out, rode the £70,000-odd worth of 'boys toys' off his premises and went where our money was more welcome.

He lost a lot of trade. (The journalist helped with that over the next few weeks. :hihi:)(But the rest of us put the word about, too.)

It's much more difficult to attract new customers than it is to keep those you've already got. A satisfied customer is likely to tell one or two of his friends ... a Dissatisfied customer will, (Per Zeithaml, Parasuraman and Berry) tell, on average 29 of his friends.

I wonder how many (non-disruptive) children and their considerate parents the café owner has turned away?

How many of them told their friends: "Don't bother to go there"?

Challenging chav "culture".

Good on them.

It's more the lower middle class, professional type parents, who seem to think the kids from 'Outnumbered' are what to aim for, who mostly have rude, unruly kids that they seem unwilling to call to order in any way. Probably worried that trying to stop them being a pita to everyone else might stifle their personalities or give them a complex. :D

The 'chav' types kids are generally no worse.

Outside a cafe in Porlock there's a sign saying "Disruptive children and their inconsiderate parents are not welcome here". I can see where they're coming from, I've had a few meals spoilt by unruly kids, but even though we weren't accompanied by children it put us off going in there as it seemed a bit officious. Would a place like this appeal to you or not?

I understand what you mean but it looks like you want it both ways. No brats nor any means to stop brats. The days of British 'don't make a fuss' are gone. Society is now composed of selfish relativist individuals who need to be told when they're stupid.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 08:41 ----------

It's more the lower middle class, professional type parents, who seem to think the kids from 'Outnumbered' are what to aim for, who mostly have rude, unruly kids that they seem unwilling to call to order in any way. Probably worried that trying to stop them being a pita to everyone else might stifle their personalities or give them a complex. :D

The 'chav' types kids are generally no worse.

Good point, as much as I loathe Wayne, Waynetta and Spudulika they tend not to leave their estates. All the stupid behaviour I've seen came from middle class brats screaming and shouting while their daft parents said stupid things like

"Harvey, you're not being reasonable...please stop it...stop doing that Harvey"

Obviously a swift crack is out of the question as momentary twinges of pain are too much to bear.

That's what kids do, get over it

...and when they grow up and become disruptive/destructive teenagers we should accept that as well as this is what teenagers do. At what point Mecky should we say 'actually this is not appropriate behaviour?

Archived