"Disruptive Children and their inconsiderate parents not welcome"

There are some grumpy people on SF. Yeah some kids are brats but the majority are well behaved. I have commented to parents on their children's behaviour before both positively and negatively. People saying that children shouldn't be in pubs, there are pubs specifically set up for people that have children, the Farm type pubs and Charlie Chalks if they still exist. I was taking my children to see Monsters Inc University at the cinema and I actually heard a middle aged couple say "ohh it's going to be full of noisy kids" I thought what did they expect watching a kids film. To be fair though there was a naughty little brat who almost ruined the whole film screaming because he wasn't allowed any popcorn.

I think you can teach a child right from wrong though without hitting a child, to me that's just bullying. I hate to see parents smacking their children.

There are some grumpy people on SF. Yeah some kids are brats but the majority are well behaved. I have commented to parents on their children's behaviour before both positively and negatively. People saying that children shouldn't be in pubs, there are pubs specifically set up for people that have children, the Farm type pubs and Charlie Chalks if they still exist. I was taking my children to see Monsters Inc University at the cinema and I actually heard a middle aged couple say "ohh it's going to be full of noisy kids" I thought what did they expect watching a kids film. To be fair though there was a naughty little brat who almost ruined the whole film screaming because he wasn't allowed any popcorn.

I think you can teach a child right from wrong though without hitting a child, to me that's just bullying. I hate to see parents smacking their children.

I'd love to hear it. Most send them to the 'naughty step' then cave in after two minutes. It could be argued that it's more damaging to isolate then than administer a few seconds of pain. Some say that it teaches kids that violence solves problems. Well it does. Or do we tell kids to go crying to teacher when walloped by another kid or wallop them back?

Would a place like this appeal to you or not?

A sign like that would definitely increase the chances of me going inside.

At a young age they don't know any better and would be unlikely to understand what appropriate behaviour is if you told them

Were you an orphan by any chance?

You seem to lack a basic understanding of the role of parents in child rearing.

Or perhaps your parents were the "can't be bothered" type?

Long ago in the dear dead days of 1983, I went to Ireland to rejoin my wife of one year, and her two preteen boys where she had spent the summer while I was working. There is hardly ever a problem with taking youngsters into a restaurant there. You don't like kids, you go bankrupt. We then went over to UK for a couple more weeks, staying in Cornwall before visiting relatives in Sheffield. Our boys were very well behaved in restaurants, but it didn't matter. They were treated like dirt by the waitstaff wherever we went. Dave, the oldest, asked for a hamburger in the hotel restaurant we were staying, and was told to go to Wimpeys if he wanted a burger. I complained to the manager about it, who said they didn't offer one there. I said fine, but explain it properly and offer an alternative. I guess they don't like kids who speak with a "Yank" accent.

Long ago in the dear dead days of 1983, I went to Ireland to rejoin my wife of one year, and her two preteen boys where she had spent the summer while I was working. There is hardly ever a problem with taking youngsters into a restaurant there. You don't like kids, you go bankrupt. We then went over to UK for a couple more weeks, staying in Cornwall before visiting relatives in Sheffield. Our boys were very well behaved in restaurants, but it didn't matter. They were treated like dirt by the waitstaff wherever we went. Dave, the oldest, asked for a hamburger in the hotel restaurant we were staying, and was told to go to Wimpeys if he wanted a burger. I complained to the manager about it, who said they didn't offer one there. I said fine, but explain it properly and offer an alternative. I guess they don't like kids who speak with a "Yank" accent.

Sounds like good old British customer service to me, no frills or pretence but an alternative source of junk food was provided. Character building.

Long ago in the dear dead days of 1983, ... Dave, the oldest, asked for a hamburger in the hotel restaurant we were staying, and was told to go to Wimpeys if he wanted a burger. I complained to the manager about it, who said they didn't offer one there. I said fine, but explain it properly and offer an alternative. I guess they don't like kids who speak with a "Yank" accent.
I'd guess, rather than the chip on the shoulder about the accent, that in 1983 in any decent hotel dining room, the chef would have been outraged to be asked to provide a 'burger'.

Restaurants and such didn't cater for that sort of food item. In fact, I bet

you could probably only get them at a Wimpy Bar anyway in the olden days.

I'd guess, rather than the chip on the shoulder about the accent, that in 1983 in any decent hotel dining room, the chef would have been outraged to be asked to provide a 'burger'.

Restaurants and such didn't cater for that sort of food item. In fact, I bet

you could probably only get them at a Wimpy Bar anyway in the olden days.

It wasn't the chef who said it. It was that good old British epitome of snobbery, the waiter.

I took my wife and son into the west end for lunch, where we were treated to all the crap I've come to expect. A nearby customer who had finished lunch left a tip of a half crown( long time ago ). The waiter grunted in disgust. I left a halfpenny.

It wasn't the chef who said it. It was that good old British epitome of snobbery, the waiter.

I took my wife and son into the west end for lunch, where we were treated to all the crap I've come to expect. A nearby customer who had finished lunch left a tip of a half crown( long time ago ). The waiter grunted in disgust. I left a halfpenny.

There you go again Buck, you're generous nature taking over fella :hihi::hihi:

Kids do not belong in cafes and tearooms, chain fast food venues are designed a lot better for children, plus most play gyms offer food, although the amount of OAPs moaning about Kids in McDonald's is ridiculous don't they know the mascot for that place is a clown and not Norris from coronation street?

yes, I agree and I have three children and intend to have more. my children are 3.5, 2.5 and 1 and we like to eat out but we go to appropriate places. My logic is if they provide crayons, children's menu, play area etc than its appropriate to take the children. if they don't then I wouldn't take my children there. I don't take my children to Costa for instance because its not suitable. I don't appreciate people calling children brats; my children aren't brats and I think that's just a horrible term to use about a child. However I think parents do have a responsibility to respect other diners and not just assume that because you have kids everyone will just excuse the noise and disruption. Also, children learn by your example so I don't agree with the comment that kids will learn what behaviour is appropriate.

Hell yes I'd eat there...I do however think they are asking for trouble by letting the parent decide whether they are able to eat there, because a lot of parents with (cough) "energetic" children will still think that doesn't apply to them.

They would have been better off just politely stating that it's a child-free environment.

I'm guessing the owners had just cleaned up one hell of a mess when they wrote that note!

It wasn't a note though, it was a large free-standing sign in capital letters and came across as bossy. We wondered if we risked a ticking off for resting our elbows on the table or putting the milk in first. But I do agree with you, it would've much clearer yet friendlier so say some thing like "Sorry, no under 12s"

Archived