New motorway service station

zlib

Calm down a bit. The proposed development affects a small percentage of the woodland (less than 3% according to the plans) in a tiny area between an industrial park and the M1.

Its hardly the Great Barrier Reef or the Amazon Rainforest.

Is there a sudden shortage of brownfield/crappy scrubland alongside the M1 I'm not aware of?

Is there a sudden shortage of brownfield/crappy scrubland alongside the M1 I'm not aware of?

I have no idea, I am not a surveyor nor do I care.

What I do think is that the location we are talking about is NOT some world heritage vital piece of forestry. Ainceint it might well be, but so were lots of things which have long since been developed. Its progress.

As I said earlier, the development proposals seem to have very little impact on the majority of the woodland and the specific location will have been chosen for very specific reasons.

Big companies are not stupid. They dont just pick a location with a pin and map. They will have their reasons for picking J35 over J33 or any other location and from my review of the plans, have done all they can to maintain the woods as much as possible and have gone beyond the minimum to develop other facilities for the community.

There is no denying that this particular tiny section of these so precious woods is stuck between an industrial park and motorway. Hardly a prized asset. Can we stop pretending that the entire Smithy Wood is somehow going to be destroyed or the entire planet's resources will be compromised by the building of a small service station. Its rediculous.

I for one welcome the investment and development but no doubt the NIMBYs will shout it down just like they did with the drive through restaurant and mini bus station proposed developments.

Edited by ECCOnoob

What I do think is that the location we are talking about is NOT some world heritage vital piece of forestry. Ainceint it might well be, but so were lots of things which have long since been developed. Its progress.

As I said earlier, the development proposals seem to have very little impact on the majority of the woodland and the specific location will have been chosen for very specific reasons.

Big companies are not stupid. They dont just pick a location with a pin and map. They will have their reasons for picking J35 over J33 or any other location and from my review of the plans, have done all they can to maintain the woods as much as possible and have gone beyond the minimum to develop other facilities for the community.

There is no denying that this particular tiny section of these so precious woods is stuck between an industrial park and motorway. Hardly a prized asset. Can we stop pretending that the entire Smithy Wood is somehow going to be destroyed or the entire planet's resources will be compromised by the building of a small service station. Its rediculous.

I for one welcome the investment and development but no doubt the NIMBYs will shout it down just like they did with the drive through restaurant and mini bus station proposed developments.

Big companies aren't stupid, neither are they bothered about smithy wood. They've got a green light for a bit of land that's cheaper than a bit of land up or down the road. That's it - that's their sole purpose, make money and I'm fine with that - once it's opened it will make them loads, it won't be boycotted because travellers understandably won't care - they want the bog and coffee. . But sometimes a body, let's say for argument a planning committee at a council, needs to say yes or no, or there are bigger issues, think again. Christ they get a hard on over listed buildings - woodland, clearly, not so much.

Six lanes of motorway and a couple of services would be useful straight through the Peak District for Sheffield and Manchester - that's not the Great Barrier Reef either, and it won't happen. I'm all for development but not willy nilly. It could be smaller it could be bigger and moved.

very sensible post. totally agree.

Guest busdriver1
Big companies are greedy and selfish. They want to make money first.

I know, dont they make you sick.

Why cant they set out with the aim of losing money instead?

Why dont you start a business up using that model, I am sure you will be successful.

I know, dont they make you sick.

Why cant they set out with the aim of losing money instead?

Why dont you start a business up using that model, I am sure you will be successful.

You know what would help stagecoach make more money - paying their drivers a pound an hour. You up for that? Of course not - there are checks and balances in place to stop businesses taking the mick. I don't many people dispute the need for services - it's a long old gap between Woodall and Woolley, just pick a better spot

jobs win the contest.

jobs create wealth.

jobs help diminish poverty.

jobs keep people happy.

jobs help to keep crime down.

I don't think mankind will suffocate because we fell a few trees.

no contest.

So, whats up with the brownfield site next door? I dont think mankind will miss another brownfield site

• 2 years later...