New motorway service station

zlib

From Meadowhall....ten minutes south to Woodhall, ten minutes north to Wooley edge. That's twenty minutes between the two.

Are drivers suddenly incontinent or summat?

Do they need a pee stop every ten minutes?

Why else would you stop at one of these overpriced places...

How about people coming off the M18 and heading north?

The problems with increasing the status of the Tankersley service area are not so much the distance off the motorway. Assuming that they were to be signposted from the motorway. If a service area off the motorway is allowed to be signposted at all?

• A new large parking area would have to be constructed - it is not a stop-off service area, there is limited parking for Taybarns and Premier Inn.
  • The road would probably need to be widened, a service area would increase demand on the A616 for Northbound traffic entering and Southbound traffic leaving
  • Probably the biggest issue would be the capacity of the Tankersley roundabout itself. Guiding traffic to a service area off that roundabout could have significant knock-on effect down the A61

I'm not arguing for the construction of a new service area though. I'm not convinced of this sudden "need" for one.

I'm not sure it would need road improvements, donnington services seem to manage ok. Would need a slightly bigger service area although Cherwell services managed with portable buildings after it burnt down. Car park doesn't need to be massive - fleet services manage (just!) with a smallish car park.

Sort out the the one at 35a.

In regards to "need" we are really the wrong people to ask. We all live fairly close by. Meadowhall isn't a useful idea for pushing people of the motorway for a coffee and a tinkle. That's just daft.

From Meadowhall....ten minutes south to Woodhall, ten minutes north to Wooley edge. That's twenty minutes between the two.

Are drivers suddenly incontinent or summat?

Do they need a pee stop every ten minutes?

Why else would you stop at one of these overpriced places...

How about people coming off the M18 and heading north?

10/15minutes from the M1 to services at the M18 / M180 intersection.

20 to 25 minutes between the two.

Anyone needing a pee between the two need a catheter fitting!

It's green belt land and ancient woodland so there up against it to begin with.

I went to the presentation yesterday at Ecclesfield School and asked about green belt status and ancient woodland. I was told that few people had mentioned green belt, only ancient woodland and that the land had been heavily damaged by people on motor bikes and 4x4's, implying no one seemed to care and they were only going to use part of the woodland. There would be additional trees planted on other sites to compensate for the loss of woodland.

The government do not seem to be overly interested in the Green Belt if it is seen to be holding back the economy. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/9516335/David-Cameron-in-new-assault-on-green-belt-planning-rules.html

Edited by Blackbeard

I really dont understand why it has to be on junction 35.

There has been space on Junction 32 awaiting purchace and development for decades. The land is brownfield and even already has an access road available. It is also closer to the M18 junction and better located for road links to Rotherham and Sheffield.

I've often wondered why there have been no services located there. Can anyone tell me?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.397443,-1.347735&spn=0.005463,0.013797&t=h&z=16

Edited by Binster

Few problems at 32 firstly is that the area is soft land so would need quite a lot of development, secondly the area is used as part of the flood plan for ulley reservoir and also probably got something to do with the power sub station that controls the whole of Sheffield, Rotherham and part of Barnsley & Doncaster

Few problems at 32 firstly is that the area is soft land so would need quite a lot of development, secondly the area is used as part of the flood plan for ulley reservoir and also probably got something to do with the power sub station that controls the whole of Sheffield, Rotherham and part of Barnsley & Doncaster

32 is also quite close to Woodall (about 5 miles I'd guess).

To be honest I don't think another service station is needed on the stretch between Woodall and Wooley Edge. Meadowhall isn't an ideal place to stop but for the small number of people who are desperate for the loo or fuel and missed Woodall services, it does the job.

I don't use service stations - too expensive. On my regular routes I know where to find supermarkets close to the motorway which offer a loo, fuel and coffee. I think more people do this now because service stations are just too expensive.