Infirmary Road Tesco - are drivers targeting cyclists?

Not even insured or pay road tax :|

No such thing as road tax it's VED. I do pay it on my car, I just wasn't driving it at the time. A lot of the time my car just sits parked (legally and considerately) at the side of the road, not obstructing, not adding to congestion, not causing potholes and other wear and tear. Perhaps I can somehow claim a pro rata refund on this because I cycle some of the time, causing about 10,000 times less wear and tear to the roads than when I drive my car?

I also have fully comp insurance with third party cover for "any vehicle". Cycles do not require insurance in this country, because in the event of them being at fault in an accident it is very unlikely they will cause damage beyond the capacity of the cyclist to compensate (see other posts). When I lived in Switzerland they did and I paid it, it was CHF6 per year (about £2.20) in 2000. Happy to pay a similar amount if necessary.

No such thing as road tax it's VED. I do pay it on my car, I just wasn't driving it at the time. A lot of the time my car just sits parked (legally and considerately) at the side of the road, not obstructing, not adding to congestion, not causing potholes and other wear and tear. Perhaps I can somehow claim a pro rata refund on this because I cycle some of the time, causing about 10,000 times less wear and tear to the roads than when I drive my car?

I also have fully comp insurance with third party cover for "any vehicle". Cycles do not require insurance in this country, because in the event of them being at fault in an accident it is very unlikely they will cause damage beyond the capacity of the cyclist to compensate (see other posts). When I lived in Switzerland they did and I paid it, it was CHF6 per year (about £2.20) in 2000. Happy to pay a similar amount if necessary.

If you use the roads on some kind of machine, other than walking, I think its a good idea to have at least 3rd party cover, just in case you did damage or injure something/someone.

By the way, I do think you were being a bit harsh to suggest the transit man wanted to murder you. People do get upset with cyclists, me included, but I dont think they would have actually meant to harm you.:suspect:

And what about cars breaking the speed limit on a regular basis?

so are you using the fact that some cars break the speed limit as an argument to justify jumping red lights? what about the cars that also jump red lights? can they use the same argument? and any other traffic offence? are all offences cancelled because some other offences are carried out?

There is no circle. I dislike car drivers that drive badly, I dislike cyclists who cycle badly. One does not excuse the other, two wrongs don't make a right, etc...

Running a red light is increasing your danger and the danger for others.

As a motorist I've had to brake sharply to avoid cyclists running lights several times. As a cyclist I've never felt the need to run a light to somehow improve my safety. And re: lorries and buses, I don't go up their left hand side, and they are generally far more careful about overtaking than many motorists.

If I reach the lights first, I take a commanding position in the centre of the lane if i feel it's necessary, if I filter I stop when I feel it's the safest position.

I do get annoyed when I filter to the front, only for the driver to then drop their left hand indicator on, but they have little choice but to wait for me to go though.

As i have said in other posts, even if for thousands of meters there is no Vehicles, even if your sat there for five minutes because the detectors in the roads don't pick you up sat there.

even then your saying that going through a red light is wrong???. i would like to know how many car drivers would be as law abiding in those same circumstances.. Not many i bet

its just complete madness to follow the letter of the highway code

As i have said in other posts, even if for thousands of meters there is no Vehicles, even if your sat there for five minutes because the detectors in the roads don't pick you up sat there.

even then your saying that going through a red light is wrong???. i would like to know how many car drivers would be as law abiding in those same circumstances.. Not many i bet

its just complete madness to follow the letter of the highway code

Yes, madness. Whoever wrote it wants stringing up, and slapping with a wet fish, the stupid fools. Bah......Highway Code? Who needs it when you are SuperCyclist, immune from anything and king of the road.

Yes, madness. Whoever wrote it wants stringing up, and slapping with a wet fish, the stupid fools. Bah......Highway Code? Who needs it when you are SuperCyclist, immune from anything and king of the road.

lets try some common sense eghh

...the top priority for everyone should be safety.

I am trying (in vain it seems) to state that for cyclists waiting at a busy junction with car, buses, lorrys, just itching to pull away when a light turns amber never mind green, that a cyclist is in a very vulnerable position. ...

The above section of your post is precisely why I said read Cyclecraft or take a Bikeability course.

Then you would learn how to position yourself at junctions, taking the primary position (holding the lane) where necessary if at the front of a junction, or how to position yourself if either filtering towards a red traffic light or being overtaken constantly on the approach to a red light (avoiding that where possible but sometimes that is more difficult to avoid)

The key points are that you don't have to filter to the front of the queue. And that you don't have to be in the gutter.

You should rarely be waiting at a traffic light stop line with your bum on the saddle and your left foot on the kerb.... That way you aren't going to be clipped or bullied in a Le Mans start

Unless you have had previous altercation (and even then it would be the exception), most drivers are not going to deliberately ram straight into you setting off from a traffic light. They may beep, swear and go red but that's their heart attack risk not yours.

You can choose to move in to a secondary position to make passing easier as soon as you judge it safe to do so. Bikeability or Cyclecraft will help you make that decision.

It is about preserving your safety whilst riding within the rules, sharing the road which means taking your share when you need to just as much as co-operating with other road users when safe.

The above section of your post is precisely why I said read Cyclecraft or take a Bikeability course.

Then you would learn how to position yourself at junctions, taking the primary position (holding the lane) where necessary if at the front of a junction, or how to position yourself if either filtering towards a red traffic light or being overtaken constantly on the approach to a red light (avoiding that where possible but sometimes that is more difficult to avoid)

The key points are that you don't have to filter to the front of the queue. And that you don't have to be in the gutter.

You should rarely be waiting at a traffic light stop line with your bum on the saddle and your left foot on the kerb.... That way you aren't going to be clipped or bullied in a Le Mans start

Unless you have had previous altercation (and even then it would be the exception), most drivers are not going to deliberately ram straight into you setting off from a traffic light. They may beep, swear and go red but that's their heart attack risk not yours.

You can choose to move in to a secondary position to make passing easier as soon as you judge it safe to do so. Bikeability or Cyclecraft will help you make that decision.

It is about preserving your safety whilst riding within the rules, sharing the road which means taking your share when you need to just as much as co-operating with other road users when safe.

what will happen when the rules change?.

these new roundabouts that give the cyclist priority will certainly cause a few road rage cases.

Personally i cant wait until the powered vehicles have to give way to cyclists!! it cant come fast enough.

what will happen when the rules change?.

these new roundabouts that give the cyclist priority will certainly cause a few road rage cases.

Personally i cant wait until the powered vehicles have to give way to cyclists!! it cant come fast enough.

Lets just hope it makes it safer for everyone. Remember, no matter how innocently you may think you are cycling, there is always a chance that you could make an error, and with a bit of luck you will be in front of a clear minded, sensible Sheffield motorist who will do his/her very best to avoid a possible accident. Not all us drivers are idiots, but some of us can spot one a mile off;)