Infirmary Road Tesco - are drivers targeting cyclists?

I have to admit driving passed cyclist is scary sometime

It shouldn't be if you are passing them in a place safe to do so, and affording them the correct amount of space.

If you think it's scary passing them, then imagine how it feels for them? At least the driver has a tonne of metal surrounding them, with airbags and seatbelts.

Cycling on Sheffield's roads is terrifying, half the time it's dodging pot holes, and the other half it's dodging car's who aren't paying attention. Just last night I had a guy trying to overtake me despite the fact I was doing the speed limit and the car in front was not making any ground one me. I ended up taking the primary position and the driver just drove along side me trying to force me into the secondary position.

I only cycle only for pleasure and short trips, and drive 50 miles commute each day. In the car it's bad enough watching other people never check their mirrors, never signal, drive at stupid speeds but at least I know I'm surrounded by a cage of metal, it's a completely different game when you've got a helmet, and maybe some gloves to protect you.

You're trying to justify his behaviour because a bike isn't suitable to get the shopping from Tescos? There was little traffic on Langsett road, I hadn't been passed by another vehicle for about 500 metres, (not because they were queueing behind me, because there was so little traffic).

So a busy road is not an excuse for his behaviour, and more importantly could never have been an excuse.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 07:23 ----------

You're wrong, there is very much a right and a wrong. A car driver endangering a cyclist is wrong. A cyclist running a red light is wrong. Many brains can think those things at the same time.

It's really not difficult to drive home or cycle home, in busy traffic or not, without acting like an angry child.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 07:25 ----------

Pretty much every other cyclist on here has condemned your behaviour as irresponsible, foolhardy and dangerous.

Are you so arrogant that you think that not only are the drivers wrong, but all the cyclists as well. Only you know the true way, and that is to ignore whichever rules of the road you find inconvenient.

have you read the previous posts??.. would you sit behind a red light for two minutes when there is nothing AT ALL AROUND YOU.. P.S. if you say yes i wont believe you :gag:

have you read the previous posts??.. would you sit behind a red light for two minutes when there is nothing AT ALL AROUND YOU.. P.S. if you say yes i wont believe you :gag:

ahh, good old monkey, you can always rely on him to come with the stupid response.

Please enlighten us, where ARE these lights you have had to wait behind for TWO MINUTES??

And no, I have NEVER jumped a red light and frankly whether or not you believe me is not important to me.

ahh, good old monkey, you can always rely on him to come with the stupid response.

Please enlighten us, where ARE these lights you have had to wait behind for TWO MINUTES??

And no, I have NEVER jumped a red light and frankly whether or not you believe me is not important to me.

:huh::huh:

Are you a double agent??

I've never jumped a red light

I even struggled with the long jump so getting that high isn't going to happen

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 23:44 ----------

I can cite one. Arriving at Hillsborough Corner from Infirmary Road at the wrong time.

However that is the same for a bus, a taxi or an errant motorist passing through the tram gate for a fine.

Answer is in that case upon seeing the lights change to red upon approach, dismount and walk round the corner to Holme Lane, then pull out when clear from the verge. Legal. Safe. Quicker than waiting.

On the opposite route though, (Holme Lane to Infirmary Road) the lights appear faulty as one can sit for 3+ cycles of the junction without getting a green light. Not a problem for me normally as Penistone Road is just as convenient and in fact faster, but on the occasions I have had to head up Infirmary Road, I have had to cross the junction against a red light because the signals are faulty.

This has been reported to streetforce by the way in case anyone has a collision at this junction so they cannot claim to be unaware of this fault, they choose to ignore it in this case.

I've never jumped a red light

I even struggled with the long jump so getting that high isn't going to happen

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 23:44 ----------

I can cite one. Arriving at Hillsborough Corner from Infirmary Road at the wrong time.

However that is the same for a bus, a taxi or an errant motorist passing through the tram gate for a fine.

Answer is in that case upon seeing the lights change to red upon approach, dismount and walk round the corner to Holme Lane, then pull out when clear from the verge. Legal. Safe. Quicker than waiting.

On the opposite route though, (Holme Lane to Infirmary Road) the lights appear faulty as one can sit for 3+ cycles of the junction without getting a green light. Not a problem for me normally as Penistone Road is just as convenient and in fact faster, but on the occasions I have had to head up Infirmary Road, I have had to cross the junction against a red light because the signals are faulty.

This has been reported to streetforce by the way in case anyone has a collision at this junction so they cannot claim to be unaware of this fault, they choose to ignore it in this case.

thanks you squiggs

As you say, cyclists DO have the option of getting off and walking around so really its the motorist who has to suffer at these lights

From Holme Lane to Infirmary Road the lights are driven by sensors, I expect that there isn't sufficient metal in a bike to trigger them. They don't run on a sequence because travelling that way is a full time tram/bus/bike gate isn't it?

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 07:20 ----------

We aren't really talking about cyclists running lights with no witnesses, but yes, I would sit and wait, or dismount, push the bike through and hop back on.

You're not the guy I see on Infirmary road, a bit slow, but doesn't stop for any red light... are you? If that it is you, it should be clear by now that it doesn't actually help you, I always catch up at the point where you can't hop a light due to the crossing traffic, so apart from increasing the danger for everyone and annoying a whole bunch of people, it achieves absolutely nothing.

From Holme Lane to Infirmary Road the lights are driven by sensors, I expect that there isn't sufficient metal in a bike to trigger them. They don't run on a sequence because travelling that way is a full time tram/bus/bike gate isn't it?

That is correct, but the lights are faulty because the road is open to cyclists, so to not detect cyclists is a fault.

My feeling is that it is an intentional fault, so that only a large vehicle will trigger them, to not change for cars. But a fault nonetheless, and it is not so simple to dismount and use the pavement turning right in this way as it means crossing between traffic and wheeling a bike past a crowded tram stop, so the dismount option is far less practical - traveling through the red with caution is the only realistic way of dealing with this situation.

I do sometimes wonder, are these faults designed in under the assumption that cyclists will go through anyway?

True, you'd be dismounting in the middle of the road and walking across a busy junction.

I don't go that way, not sure what I'd do instead to be honest...

Have you tried emailing streetforce and asking what you are supposed to do?